Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am a 475 visa holder (the 489 old version) and have been for about 10 months in Adelaide (my visa expires in February 2017, extendable to May 2017 as visa was granted in May 2013). I have not found a professional job here yet (I am an Economist) and just got a professional opportunity in China for 6 months (after that I would come back here again, as here is holidays I am aware that the professional job market will be quiet until February-March so taking these 6 professional months in China would be good for me). It looks interesting as it is the opportunity to "recover" my career but of course, the problem would be that I would "risk" the possibility of getting my PR in Australia through the 887 as I have to show 2 years residence and 1 year full time work.

Although I see my Chinese adventure as something "temporary" and would like to settle permanently in Australia later, I wonder that by taking the 6 months in China I would not fulfill the requirements for the 887 after coming back. If so, are there any other options for Permanent Residency in Australia, even with other types of visas? It would be difficult to get a new skilled professional visa (for example the 190) after having held the 475?

I wait for your help, similar experiences or opinions about this case, and I am also willing to receive professional advise if possible

Regards,

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
The requirements for the 887 are fixed. If you were eligible to apply for a 189 you could do that. There is nothing stopping you doing that. The fact that you failed to meet the 887 requirements would not affect an application for a 190.

An alternative is to find any job in Australia, not necessarily a professional job. Get your 887 visa and then go on your adventures into China or anywhere else.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The requirements for the 887 are fixed. If you were eligible to apply for a 189 you could do that. There is nothing stopping you doing that. The fact that you failed to meet the 887 requirements would not affect an application for a 190.

An alternative is to find any job in Australia, not necessarily a professional job. Get your 887 visa and then go on your adventures into China or anywhere else.
Jeremy, thanks for your answer. According to what you say, it means that even if I take the six months or even longer overseas I would be able to start a new "migration" process with possibility of success here? Do they take in consideration that I have held a 475 visa and eventually didn't "push" to get the 887? What are the 189 and 190 processing times so far?

Something I have been thinking is that my time in China would open opportunities for me here in Oz (there is a recently signed Free Trade Agreement between China and Australia) so I can comeback with my importing business or representing a company rather than looking for jobs in this difficult market I have struggled with... I actually think it would be more beneficial for the country but of course, rules are rules and as you say the 887 rules are fixed... I think about getting "any job" but the thing is that I am afraid it will "kill" my career, I have met Engineers, Surgeons, Architects, etc. that have been cleaning toilets or working as kitchen hand for 2 years and I don't see myself doing it... not because I'm arrogant, not, please don't think that, it is just because I made a big effort studying and then working professionally overseas so for me "lowering" my standards that way is really hard (in professional terms, don't misunderstand me, those casual jobs are highly valuable for society as a whole) and that's actually the reason I would be willing to go overseas although I love Australia and the lifestyle here

Thanks for your help and if you can give me more personalised advice let me know, I really want to know all the facts for my punctual case

Regards,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.