The Australian Governor General Quentin Bryce is expecting a visit from Prime Minister Julia Gillard to set the elections on August 28 according to insiders. The meeting would be held at Canberra on July 17, 2010.

The election campaign would be for six weeks long. Ms. Gillard's tour would include stops at Brisbane to address a lag in enrolment in youth voters in Queensland and Yarralumla. She had just come from a visit to Melbourne and Tasmania.

She reiterated an earlier campaign promise by saying that "If the Government is re-elected I will choose the ministry. I have said that Kevin Rudd will serve as a senior minister in a re-elected Gillard Government. That is my commitment, I will honour that commitment," she said. She had also promised an election at the soonest possible time in order to remove any questions as to the legitimacy of her government.

In one instance during her sorties, Ms. Gillard was inquired upon an alleged pact made with Mr. Rudd on the night the latter was ousted from office. That deal, which was confirmed by Rudd's insiders, said that Mr. Rudd would hand over the Prime Ministership before an election in October if polls reflected that Mr. Rudd would be the cause of the Labor Party's defeat in the election. To this Ms. Gillard said that it was a confidential discussion.

Since assuming office, she had addressed the issues over the prickly mining tax by forging a deal with the mining companies. One other election issue she has failed though was the asylum seeker issue because of the inability to decide the final location for the asylum processing center in Australia.

These missteps have been capitalized by the Opposition calling it Ms. Gillard's attempt to "airbrush" the past. The opposition MPs have been saying that Ms. Gillard had reneged on a deal with the former PM Kevin Rudd. They claim that the lack of transparency in the discussions prior to her assumption to office reflects badly on her character as a leader and her trustworthiness to be at the helm for Australia.

The world and Australia now sits and waits for matters to unfold.