Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Going through a list and figuring out what I will need to do to submit properly without delay in early January 2018. So far, here's what I got:

Applicant:
1. Photo page of US passport
2. Two recent passport photos
3. Social Security ID
4. Birth Certificate from home country
5. Naturalization Citizenship Certificate
6. Name Change Petition Certificate
7. Connecticut State Driver License
8. Connecticut State Police check (DPS-181-C), 03/2018
9. FBI Police Check, 03/2018
10. Health Check, 03/2018
11. 3x Form 888s from my SO (sponsor)'s mother, brother, and mutual family friend
12. Form 80

Sponsor (My Significant Other):
1. Aussie Birth certificate
2. Aussie Passport
3. AFP Police Check

Proof that you and your fiancé have met face-to-face as adults since turning 18 and know each other personally.
1. Photos of us from July 2016, April 2017, and January 2018. Will be supplying plenty of photos of us attending events, dinners, day out in the city, with family and friends, etc.

Proof (such as a letter from the person who will officiate at the wedding) that you will marry your fiancé within nine months of being granted the visa:
1. Intention to marry, NOIM

Proof that you and your fiancé genuinely intend to live as spouses.
1. Engagement Ring purchase and photos
2. Chat log as well as our call log from Whatsapp, Facebook, and Instagram

Written statements showing the history of your relationship, such as:
  • how, when and where you first met
  • how your relationship developed
  • when you became engaged
  • joint activities
  • significant events in the relationship
  • your future plans as husband and wife.
1. This should be covered in the Form 47SP that I will be completing online.

Further questions:
1. Will I need Form 80?

2. Is the AFP Police Check something that will remain valid only for 12 months like the US FBI check and therefore delay my SO in going through the process

3. What should I focus on first to get a head start on my application process? NOIM and Form 888s?

4. Anything else I could possibly provide or additional advice?

Thank you for the help. I have been learning a ton! :)

Reactions: Bismilah

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I would do a Form 80 to be on the safe side. They seem to be wanting one from everyone these days.

I would also just have your sponsor do the AFP and submit when you apply. Remember there has been a recent change that any apps submitted after 18 Nov 2017 must have everything attached or risk refusal as they are no longer requesting missing information. It is unclear if this includes medicals and police checks so best to submit them all when you apply. I haven't seen US 300s go over 12 monthd anyway yet.

Definitely get started on the NOIM and F888s as they can take time. Police checks can take time as well depending on your state (Florida took weeks) and the FBI will take months unless you go through an approved channeler (I used Accurate Biometrics and got a result within a week).

People tend to take their time with F888s so if recommend giving them a deadline ahead of your intended appliation date. They may be unsure of what to write so it's best to communicate with them and explain it a bit. Don't forget you'll need copies of their ID as well (we used passports to prove their citizenship).

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
As for photos, try and keep it limited to 20 or less. Think about which photos you're using as well. For example, a photo of the two of you at a famous landmark adds proof along with your flight itinerary of holidays together, and photos of both of you out with friends and family show that your relationship is well known to others. A bunch of selfies of the two of you don't mean much. Think about what else is in the photo. For an example, we used a handful of photos of my son and my partner together, each at a different age so you can see how my son has grown up with my partner through the years. Obviously not everyone has a kid but that type of over-time progression is something to look out for.

Instead of just throwing all the photos with captions into one pdf, I decided to use Microsoft Publisher and created a magazine style layout to guide our story through photos a bit better. It was about 5 pages with anywhere from 1-4 photos on each page. Each page had a significant event as the title and a short paragraph or two describing it (e.g. How/When We Met, Holidays, Engagement or Wedding, Friends and Family, etc).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would do a Form 80 to be on the safe side. They seem to be wanting one from everyone these days.

I would also just have your sponsor do the AFP and submit when you apply. Remember there has been a recent change that any apps submitted after 18 Nov 2017 must have everything attached or risk refusal as they are no longer requesting missing information. It is unclear if this includes medicals and police checks so best to submit them all when you apply. I haven't seen US 300s go over 12 monthd anyway yet.

Definitely get started on the NOIM and F888s as they can take time. Police checks can take time as well depending on your state (Florida took weeks) and the FBI will take months unless you go through an approved channeler (I used Accurate Biometrics and got a result within a week).

People tend to take their time with F888s so if recommend giving them a deadline ahead of your intended appliation date. They may be unsure of what to write so it's best to communicate with them and explain it a bit. Don't forget you'll need copies of their ID as well (we used passports to prove their citizenship).
Thanks as always, Skybluebrewer! I had no idea the 18 November changes affected my application. I had just skimmed the post by CCMS earlier this week. I guess I will have to rethink when I would like to do the health/background checks. I also forgot about the witnesses filling the Form 888 proving their Aussie status. Thanks for the heads up!

Couple questions:
1. The 300 PMV visa is granted when I land in Australia, correct? Therefore, the 9 month stay limit kicks in once I arrive in Australia.

2. Do you know how long it typically would take for AFP to get back to my SO? And is the AFP check also limited by a 12 month timeframe like the US background checks would be?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As for photos, try and keep it limited to 20 or less. Think about which photos you're using as well. For example, a photo of the two of you at a famous landmark adds proof along with your flight itinerary of holidays together, and photos of both of you out with friends and family show that your relationship is well known to others. A bunch of selfies of the two of you don't mean much. Think about what else is in the photo. For an example, we used a handful of photos of my son and my partner together, each at a different age so you can see how my son has grown up with my partner through the years. Obviously not everyone has a kid but that type of over-time progression is something to look out for.

Instead of just throwing all the photos with captions into one pdf, I decided to use Microsoft Publisher and created a magazine style layout to guide our story through photos a bit better. It was about 5 pages with anywhere from 1-4 photos on each page. Each page had a significant event as the title and a short paragraph or two describing it (e.g. How/When We Met, Holidays, Engagement or Wedding, Friends and Family, etc).
Glad to say that I will be doing something similar! I planned on separating my photos by a few PDF files with descriptions written in portraying a story of my 3 visits to Australia. :)

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Thanks as always, Skybluebrewer! I had no idea the 18 November changes affected my application. I had just skimmed the post by CCMS earlier this week. I guess I will have to rethink when I would like to do the health/background checks. I also forgot about the witnesses filling the Form 888 proving their Aussie status. Thanks for the heads up!

Couple questions:
1. The 300 PMV visa is granted when I land in Australia, correct? Therefore, the 9 month stay limit kicks in once I arrive in Australia.

2. Do you know how long it typically would take for AFP to get back to my SO? And is the AFP check also limited by a 12 month timeframe like the US background checks would be?
No, the 9 months begins from the visa grant date. All the information you'll need will be in the visa, such as your must make first entry by date and the visa expiry date. You must enter Oz at least once while a 300 holder before you can marry, but once you do that you can marry anywhere in the world.

I believe AFPs are taking 15 business days at the moment. It's not likely they'll be asked to redo it but I do believe the 12 months still applies. My 820 was granted in September, which was the same month my husband's AFP (we provided for the 300 and reuploaded for the 820 stage) would have passed the 12 months and he was not asked to do another.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds good. I think I can make the crazy coordination work for health and background.

One more regarding AFPs. I learned that the check is usually needed if children are involved. Is this true? Or should I get one anyways? My SO and I do not have any children.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Do you have the link for the list of panel physicians to do your medical? It may be worth giving the one closest to you a call to see if they require you to apply for the visa first. Some have wait lists so you might be able to make an appointment around the time you apply if you plan ahead.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
You won't need an AFP unless you've spent a cumulative 12 months or more in Australia in the ten years prior to applying. Your sponsor should upload one though if they are living in Australia. Thought I'd clarify that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup, my question regarding the AFP check was for my SO who resides in Australia. I have stayed in Australia a total of about 2.5 months in the past decade. I should be good there :)

As for the list of physicians, I don't have the listing from the DIBP, however, I did save the information on the one I would like to go to. He is located in Manhattan on Park Ave. I think the place is known as Manhattan Family Practice. I did plan on calling their office this coming week to see what the scheduling options are like. I will inquire if he needs me to complete the application before as well.

Is it possible for me to get a medical check before application submission, however? I thought there is a way to link your specific application after it has been submitted. With the 18 November changes, I don't know the best way to go about this.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks! Didn't know about the site. Will do my reading now :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys,

Been a while. Took a hiatus in working on my application but approaching the end now. Going through a list and figuring out what I will need to do to submit properly without delay in next week. So far, here's what I got:

Applicant:

1. Photo page of US passport
2. Two recent passport photos
3. Social Security ID
4. Birth Certificate from home country
5. Naturalization Citizenship Certificate
6. Name Change Petition Certificate
7. Connecticut State Driver License
8. 2x Form 888s from my SO (sponsor)'s mother, brother, and mutual family friend
9. Form 80

Still need to gather the following:
10. Connecticut State Police check (DPS-181-C), 07/2018
11. FBI Police Check, 07/2018
12. Health Check, 07/2018

Sponsor (My Significant Other):
1. Aussie Passport

Still need to gather the following:
2. Aussie Birth certificate
3. Aussie Medicare Card
4. Aussie Passport style photo
5. AFP Police Check

Proof that you and your fiancé have met face-to-face as adults since turning 18 and know each other personally.
1. Photos of us from July 2016, April 2017, and January 2018. Will be supplying plenty of photos of us attending events, dinners, day out in the city, with family and friends, etc.

Proof (such as a letter from the person who will officiate at the wedding) that you will marry your fiancé within nine months of being granted the visa:
1. Intention to marry, NOIM

Proof that you and your fiancé genuinely intend to live as spouses.
1. Engagement Ring purchase and photos
2. Chat log as well as our call log from Whatsapp, Facebook, and Instagram

Written statements showing the history of your relationship, such as:
  • how, when and where you first met
  • how your relationship developed
  • when you became engaged
  • joint activities
  • significant events in the relationship
  • your future plans as husband and wife.
1. This should be covered in the Form 47SP that I will be completing online.

Further questions:
1. Do most people submit the AFP Check with the application or wait like the FBI/Medical? I know the AFP check expires in 12 months as well. Thinking of doing the AFP check in July with the rest if I can wait.

2. Is there anything I should know about the Application once I hit submit? I believe I do the Sponsor side, correct? Or the Sponsor (my fiancee) completes it herself and uploads their portion of the documents?

3. Currently gathering the photos. Is there a recommended way to organize them? I was thinking of having them all into PDFs and have a cover page with a description of each Page in the PDF on the cover page.

Thank you for the help! Would have been impossible without you guys :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You can apply online for an ETA now if you would like. It lasts for a year and lets you stay up to 3 months.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Your stuff looks good. Are you planning on uploading proof like flight tickets or receipts of time spent together? Or any proof of communication while apart? Do you have any financial evidence like one paying for trips together or helping with groceries or bills when visiting? It just helps add a bit more quality to the app.

The photos should be able to go into one pdf. I used MS Publisher and chose a newsletter template then arranged our photos in a magazine style layout. So 1-4 photos a page with the short paragraph as a description. Each page had a title (When we met, Holidays, Engagement, etc) and the photos corresponded. So for holiday we had a photo in each country we had visited over our various holidays.

Carne out to 5 or 6 pages so about 20 photos overall. Saved as a pdf and was still within the file size limit.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Your stuff looks good. Are you planning on uploading proof like flight tickets or receipts of time spent together? Or any proof of communication while apart? Do you have any financial evidence like one paying for trips together or helping with groceries or bills when visiting? It just helps add a bit more quality to the app.

The photos should be able to go into one pdf. I used MS Publisher and chose a newsletter template then arranged our photos in a magazine style layout. So 1-4 photos a page with the short paragraph as a description. Each page had a title (When we met, Holidays, Engagement, etc) and the photos corresponded. So for holiday we had a photo in each country we had visited over our various holidays.

Carne out to 5 or 6 pages so about 20 photos overall. Saved as a pdf and was still within the file size limit.
Thank you as always skyblue! You're the best!

I plan on creating 6 PDF documents each with their own category. One of them was travel where I showed my ETA application along with the tickets I bought for my three trips to Australia. Each PDF would have its own description in the first page (Blank cover sheet with description for its own page). I do like your approach. Going to see if I can consolidate my photo upload PDFs. Unfortunately, I am not the most creative, haha! I do have evidence of paying for things as well as purchasing gifts.

Any suggestions on the AFP Check? Is it something I should hold off along with my State Police/FBI/Medical checks?

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Yeah I'd wait. US processing times keep creeping closer to the one year mark. And if they look at your case earlier, they'll just request them anyway so not too big of a deal. I'd prob wait 5 months or so to get them going. None of them take long to get so not like it's a 4 month wait anymore from when you apply for the check. Remember the entry date depends on their expiry so if you do them too early and the visa takes a while to process, you may have short notice to fly to Oz to activate.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.