Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Me and my partner are about to start the process for the PMV and have a couple of questions for anybody that's done this before or looking to do it.
We've been together for 18 months, met and lived together whilst I was studying in Brisbane Dec 2016. Since then my student visa had expired and we looked at the options. She's came to live with me over in my hometown in the U.K. For the last 6 months, in this time we've became engaged. We have joint back account together in Australia aswell as the UK. Have lived together in both Aus & UK. Regularly visit each other's family etc.

We've gone through an immigration agent as I felt this would be the safest way to go as both of us haven't done this before and unsure. Does anybody have an idea of lead times from when submitting the visa? I'm a UK citizen which I've been told happens a lot quicker than other nationalities.

If anybody has some info that would be greatly appreciated 馃檪

Cheers,
Gareth

Registered
I would consider the partner visa 309 instead of the PMV300. You sound like you have over 12 months together.

UK applications seem to be pretty quick too. Many being 6 months or less.

Registered
My PMV 300 was lodged two months ago (in the U.K. using immigration agent), including medical and police checks.

Now just playing the waiting game and trying to live life as normal as possible without thinking about it. Easier said than done!

Good luck with your application!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both! I'm torn between either the PMV or the De-Facto Visa. I've been told the De-Facto visa takes up to 15 months to come through. Me and my partner are both happy living in the UK but would like to return to Aus ideally before then. Plus the thought of having to plan our wedding in 9 months is pretty daunting for us.

Registered
A PMV is an extra step (making the entire process longer) and more expensive route to take. No point in doing it if you qualify de facto already. After the PMV, you need to apply for the 820/801 anyway which is just the onshore version of the 309/100.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it was more the lead time we were worried about. Up to 15 months for the De-Facto visa is a long time. My partner does have Type 1 diabetes so I don't like keeping her from her usual doctors too long. We've been in the UK now for 6 months and her visa over here runs out in 17 months time as well. The money isn't a big issue it's more the timeframe on how long they take. Such big desisions 馃槓

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.