Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

Just want to hear some others view on this. Has anyone been on a pmv 300 and went straight to the 801 without the 2 year wait of 820?

Our relationship started in July 2014, Would this be put into consideration? or must it have been a de facto relationship(She was not living in Australia until PMV was granted, although came 6 times)?

Background;

Met in Feb 2014
Relationship started in July 2014
Engaged Jan 2017
PMV Application started April 2017
PMV Approved Jan 2018
Moved Feb 2018
Getting Married in Aug 2018

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
No. The 820 is only waived if you've been married or in a de facto relationship for three years or more, or two years or more if you have a child together. While de facto doesn't necessarily mean you HAVE to have been living together, you'd need lots of evidence your relationship was more than just dating. I haven't heard of anyone getting a PMV, and then skipping the 820 - probably because if you were going to qualify for that, you would have qualified for the partner visa to start with rather than needing to apply for a PMV.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
The sc. 820 must be granted first on all occasions. When there is a “ long term relationship” the sc. 801 is sometimes granted straight after, without the 2 year waiting period. Without a sc. 820 grant, the sc.801 cannot be granted.

Reactions: CollegeGirl

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
I assume it is technically possible?

At time of PMV application - be in a de facto for 11 months with a child.

10 months process time.

the submit 820 application 8 months after grant.

That is a long term relationship (29 months) with a child.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
I think the definition is quite clear:

Long-term partner relationship, in relation to an applicant for a visa, means a relationship between the applicant and another person, each as the spouse or de facto partner of the other, that has continued:

(a) if there is a dependent child (other than a step-child) of both the applicant and the other person-for not less than 2 years; or

(b) in any other case-for not less than 3 years.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
It seems that the Department also have a "c" option.

Pretty sure there was one applicant that claimed they got the 820 & 801 with less than 3 years and no child.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts

Pretty sure there was one applicant that claimed they got the 820 & 801 with less than 3 years and no child.
Assuming that person was telling the truth, they were from the US and had been together only 1.5 years with no child and got the 820 and 801 at the same time. If only everyone were so lucky.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

There is a reply by a user named Miss Swan, in a post in 2013. Has the rules changed? or did she get lucky. Seems to have a similar situation as me in terms of distant relationship and getting married, not the visa process type.

Here was her reply:

"Hello! I'm actually very positive that you'll be granted 801 I applied for the onshore partner visa, fully expecting to get 820. My partner and I knew each other in 2008, and had been in a long distance relationship until 2012, when we got married in July. So that's 4.5 years of dating, and 3 months of marriage before I lodged my application.

I had very similar evidence as you do - photos, couple of wedding invitations, a joint bank account with only $70 (haha!), and money transfers. We couldn't even get any 'joint leases' or 'joint bills' as ours was long-distance and obviously we lived in 2 completely different countries.

My case officer granted me permanent - 801. Imagine my surprise! So I'm pretty sure you'll get it, especially when your relationship goes all the way back to 2003."

Link to the thread - https://www.australiaforum.com/visas-immigration/20258-straight-permanent.html#post92771

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.