Australia Forum banner

2861 - 2880 of 3862 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Maybe to be safe just have him redo both before he leaves for Aus.
What temp visa is he travelling on? I'm going to have to do that too because we need to get our kids in school there. I applied April 2018 so I know we have a long wait... Ugh!
Thanks KTE711!... we are going to try to apply for a 600. Hopefully with no NFS condition so we he can stay up to 6months. Hope everything goes well for all of us. =)

·
Registered
77 Posts
There's a few that I think I'm going to take off our DC waiting list because I have not seen any activity from them on this forum for months. I'm going to take the following off our list: Deebs, Cardude151, #62Aussie, and Oyetoba. If you are one of these and want to remain on the list, let me know.

That means that the oldest one on the list with no grant is nyctoaus (from April 2017). I'm rooting for you.

Also, thank you Dannygolucky for sharing your experience of sending your furry friend to Oz. I may have to get some more information from you if or when I decide to do the same.

Reactions: Space_Dog

·
Registered
34 Posts
Rmbnv,
Oh ok I didn't know that! Tourist it is then!

Can anyone lend experience on sending money to Aus?
When we were in Aus for Easter we tried to open a bank account however they wouldn't allow us. Which I umderstand. But now we are just trying to figure out how to get our money there!?
I know there are international 3rd party companies that don't charge as much as banks. But where do we deposit it if we have no account? Do we have to transfer to a family members account then back to us? I'd like to avoid that! If possible!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Can anyone lend experience on sending money to Aus?
When we were in Aus for Easter we tried to open a bank account however they wouldn't allow us. Which I umderstand. But now we are just trying to figure out how to get our money there!?
I know there are international 3rd party companies that don't charge as much as banks. But where do we deposit it if we have no account? Do we have to transfer to a family members account then back to us? I'd like to avoid that! If possible!
Highly recommend Transferwise. Have used this several times over the last few years and its super easy and secure. My partner and I recently moved about $30,000 from her German account into our Oz account. Takes 1-2 days maximum, and out of that massive chunk the only fee was like €40 euros (would hate to think what the banks would charge).

You will need an Oz account obviously to transfer it into over here, but as you said maybe you can put it into a trusted family members account for the time being if you cant open your own.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thank you! Transferwise was also recommended from a friend, good to hear you also agree. Looks like we will just have to transfer to another persons account! All good. Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thank you! Transferwise was also recommended from a friend, good to hear you also agree. Looks like we will just have to transfer to another persons account! All good. Thanks!
We got a good rate using Currency Fair if you wanted to check that out too.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
There's a few that I think I'm going to take off our DC waiting list because I have not seen any activity from them on this forum for months. I'm going to take the following off our list: Deebs, Cardude151, #62Aussie, and Oyetoba. If you are one of these and want to remain on the list, let me know.

That means that the oldest one on the list with no grant is nyctoaus (from April 2017). I'm rooting for you.

Also, thank you Dannygolucky for sharing your experience of sending your furry friend to Oz. I may have to get some more information from you if or when I decide to do the same.
Ah, "rooting". One word I stopped using when I moved to Oz because I kept getting laughed at lol. Cheering for you too nyctoaus!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All,

Just a update for my visa. I got my visa granted on 2nd July, 2018 from DC office.

Application Date: 1st June 2017
Application in progress email received: 2nd July 2018
Request Sponsor's Document: 24th July 2018
Document submitted: 1st August 2018
Visa granted: 2nd August 2018

·
Registered
61 Posts
thanks!! trying to stay hopeful, but starting to plan heading back to the USA soon to do more waiting.
really wondering why mine is taking so long...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi All,

Just a update for my visa. I got my visa granted on 2nd July, 2018 from DC office.

Congratulations!! And things are now moving again guys! there's hope =)

·
Registered
34 Posts
thanks!! trying to stay hopeful, but starting to plan heading back to the USA soon to do more waiting.
really wondering why mine is taking so long...
Hi nyctoaus, may i know what period did immi gave you for your tourist visa? When did you apply for your tourist visa? and sorry last question how was the processing, any issues whatsoever?

Sorry for the many questions

Hoping you get your visa grant this month.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi nyctoaus, may i know what period did immi gave you for your tourist visa? When did you apply for your tourist visa? and sorry last question how was the processing, any issues whatsoever?

Sorry for the many questions

Hoping you get your visa grant this month.
I was asked to supply a 2nd AFP which i provided almost 3 months ago.
Applied for tourist visa and its the basic 3 month visa.

no problems. waited to be asked for my medical as I was hoping to not have to double up on documents, but had to apply and pay for AFP again anyway.. oh well.

hoping when I leave on holiday it goes through and I can come back to oz.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was asked to supply a 2nd AFP which i provided almost 3 months ago.
Applied for tourist visa and its the basic 3 month visa.

no problems. waited to be asked for my medical as I was hoping to not have to double up on documents, but had to apply and pay for AFP again anyway.. oh well.

hoping when I leave on holiday it goes through and I can come back to oz.
I see... did you have a no further stay condition on the 600?

My husband and I are hoping to get him on a 600 so he could join me here in sydney while waiting for the visa. We applied Oct 2017. Front loaded everything. It looks like we need to redo both police checks and medical since it's expiring on Nov. oh wells....

·
Registered
61 Posts
I see... did you have a no further stay condition on the 600?

My husband and I are hoping to get him on a 600 so he could join me here in sydney while waiting for the visa. We applied Oct 2017. Front loaded everything. It looks like we need to redo both police checks and medical since it's expiring on Nov. oh wells....
well even if he gets on the 600 he needs to leave before the visa can be granted. off shore visas cant be granted while you are on shore. i dont know if you need to leave before applying for a new visitor visa?

·
Registered
34 Posts
well even if he gets on the 600 he needs to leave before the visa can be granted. off shore visas cant be granted while you are on shore. i dont know if you need to leave before applying for a new visitor visa?
Ah yup, we're aware of that offshore thing. We'll just wait for immi to advise when they are ready to grant the visa....

I think you can apply for a new visitor visa while inside Australia if your existing tourist visa doesn't have the "no further stay" condition (extension). If it does, then you need to leave Aus first and apply offshore.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi All,

Good to see June 2017 applicants are now being processed. Hopefully mine is in the near future as I also applied then. My sponsor did contact our local MP's office and they replied immediately, asked for details and said they would look into it. Not sure if it will make a difference at this point.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Can someone please explain the whole "contacting our local MP" thing? We've only been waiting about 7 months which is nothing compared to others and well within the current processing times... But I'm curious how do we know who our MP is? How do we contact them and what does everyone say? I doubt it will make very much difference, and I don't think we're in a position to contact them just yet. But I keep seeing it mentioned so I thought it might be good to know..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Can someone please explain the whole "contacting our local MP" thing? We've only been waiting about 7 months which is nothing compared to others and well within the current processing times... But I'm curious how do we know who our MP is? How do we contact them and what does everyone say? I doubt it will make very much difference, and I don't think we're in a position to contact them just yet. But I keep seeing it mentioned so I thought it might be good to know..
I'm guessing your partner is the sponsor? if so, he/she is registered to vote in an Australian electorate, likely the last place they lived in Australia. Whoever the federal member of that electorate is, is your partner's local member. Just like in the US with the House of Representatives in Congress.

Technically, when you have a problem with the federal government, your local member is meant to represent you on your behalf, that's why we send them to Canberra. Will it change the government's immigration policy going into an election year? I doubt it, but it can't hurt to voice your opinion. That's how Australia's democracy is meant to work anyway. And if enough people contact enough local members, then maybe something might change... squeaky wheel gets the grease.

In reality, immigration and "big Australia" are political footballs this year (an election is due by May 2019, but will more than likely be called after the Banking Royal Commission wraps up in November), thanks to the housing crisis by and large. and it doesn't help that you have an immigration minister who doesn't actually seem to like/ or see the economic benefits, of immigrants. But, really, it's just our tough luck that we choose to immigrate to Australia at the same moment a conservative government decides to crack down on immigration... you can't win them all.

2861 - 2880 of 3862 Posts