Australia Forum banner
2981 - 3000 of 3867 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
New timelines are in... 13-17 months. While I appreciate the apparent improvement... what 75% are getting approved in 13 months?? Most of us that are due soon are at 14-15 months. :( . Time for some phone calls?

Reactions: Space_Dog

·
Registered
165 Posts
New timelines are in... 13-17 months. While I appreciate the apparent improvement... what 75% are getting approved in 13 months?? Most of us that are due soon are at 14-15 months.
. Time for some phone calls?
In other forums, it's not uncommon to see 6-8 month processing times. Recent ones I can recall came from Brazil, UK, India and Malaysia.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi,

I came across this site as I was searching for answers on the back of what you all know to be a very frustrating process. It's a great forum and it's great to see visa's are coming through.

We applied at the end of July 2017, received a standard "application in progress" email on our one year anniversary but no contact since. It was good to see this is a US thing because it was definitely frustrating seeing posts from others about their visa's being approved in 2 months in some cases.

From this site for Washington DC it looks like all the May and June 2017 applicants have either been granted or at least contacted by immi for more information (except user noone?). Soccerplr, Kjmag, mrob8538 I'm keen to know if you've heard anything. Dannygolucky good to see you seem to be moving forward. I put the data from this site over the last few months into a spreadsheet which suggests average time for contact is 14 months, the range is 13.5-15 months. The average time for grant is 14.5 months, range of 12-17 months.

Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

I came across this site as I was searching for answers on the back of what you all know to be a very frustrating process. It's a great forum and it's great to see visa's are coming through.

We applied at the end of July 2017, received a standard "application in progress" email on our one year anniversary but no contact since. It was good to see this is a US thing because it was definitely frustrating seeing posts from others about their visa's being approved in 2 months in some cases.

From this site for Washington DC it looks like all the May and June 2017 applicants have either been granted or at least contacted by immi for more information (except user noone?). Soccerplr, Kjmag, mrob8538 I'm keen to know if you've heard anything. Dannygolucky good to see you seem to be moving forward. I put the data from this site over the last few months into a spreadsheet which suggests average time for contact is 14 months, the range is 13.5-15 months. The average time for grant is 14.5 months, range of 12-17 months.

Cheers
I am right there with you with the frustration!! We applied July 23 and haven't heard a word than the "application is progressing" email on August 19 (so a bit later than the 1 year mark). Application status is still listed as "Received" is that the same for you as well?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi,

Cheers
We just passed our 14 months from the date of the application and have not heard anything. We also received "application in progress" on the anniversary of our application, and our immi account still shows as received. It is extremely frustrating as by next month they'll probably change the processing times again so if you try to ask questions, they'll just give you the " you are within the processing times".

·
Registered
125 Posts
We just passed our 14 months from the date of the application and have not heard anything. We also received "application in progress" on the anniversary of our application, and our immi account still shows as received. It is extremely frustrating as by next month they'll probably change the processing times again so if you try to ask questions, they'll just give you the " you are within the processing times".
Also passed 14 months, soon will be 15 months. Received a notification for more info 3 weeks ago. Uploaded this week, awaiting one more document to upload and then we'll see. But it does seem that most who applied in June of last year are seeing some movement, if not grants by now. Be patient, it'll come...

Maybe someone should ask the astrologer who just posted 20 times if they have any inkling...

·
Registered
20 Posts
We still haven't heard anything. Applied for the 309/100 July 25th. And for a little background info, my partner and I have been dating for over 6 years and recently got engaged. We have tons of evidence about contact while apart and we lived in the same city for about 4 years. However, we have limited evidence about shared finances and household management. I feel like that can't be a dealbreaker though.
I'm mostly worried that my FBI and health checks have now expired and I don't know if I should get those done again (I was very optimistic at the beginning of this process...). I read that one applicant received their visa with expired health/FBI checks but I don't want to extend this process longer than it has to be if they ask me to redo them.
I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with this process. I've basically put my life on hold waiting for this visa and I feel like I'm at the complete whim of the government. My partner and I did contact the local parliament member for our area about 6 months ago. His exec secratary was pretty responsive and we asked her to shed more light on how this process works and if we could get an idea of where our visa stood in the line of applicants. Unsurprisingly, she dug around and wasn't told any more info than we have been given on their website. However, she did say this, which I thought was mildly helpful:
"...there's not really a queue because many are processed at once and take varying amounts of time depending on the information provided, particular assessments required for different people and so on. The Department does begin processing applications in the order they are received."
Anyway, I'm driving myself nuts thinking about it, but it is helpful to look through this forum. It gives me a little hope that it will be approved soon! Good luck to all of you and hang in there!

Hi,

Cheers

·
Registered
38 Posts
Aztec you must be really close. There generally isn't a lot of time between being contacted / getting the information they need back to them and a final response. 2-3 weeks maybe based on data from this forum.

Kymag I don't think the quality of your application has anything to do with the wait time. I don't think they even open them until about 14 months in. Earlier in some cases but at the moment for DC applications seems to be about 14 months.

From the information from this blog, 80% of grants came in the first and last week of the month (45% in the last week and 35% in the first week). So next week might bring good news, if not the following week :) good luck to all. keep us posted.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Has it been clarified why the DC office takes so much longer to process than other countries?

Recent data points from the forum have grants coming inside of 6 months for countries like Canada, Malaysia and India - all countries with multiple embassies.

Is the DC embassy just incredibly short staffed?

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Has it been clarified why the DC office takes so much longer to process than other countries?

Recent data points from the forum have grants coming inside of 6 months for countries like Canada, Malaysia and India - all countries with multiple embassies.

Is the DC embassy just incredibly short staffed?
Not really sure what happened but somewhere between 2016 and 2017, wait times shot up for U.S. applicants. Prior to that, it was very common to see grants in less than 5 months (according to posts on this forum, which as we all know is probably an incredibly small percentage of total applicants). At least that's what I noticed when I started reading the forums in 2015.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I doubt it’s a coincidence that that is when President Trump was elected....likely many Australians living in the US promptly hit the eject button taking their US partners with them...the issue may well be a large increase in the volume of US applicants and DC staffing that hasn’t kept up. Not for nothing the guy the moved our dogs and does a lot of US to Australia import work said he saw a big spike in transports post Trump. Still not entirely clear why processing can’t be sent to Ottowa which seems to be efficient. The US contact number has already been rerouted there....

·
Registered
165 Posts
I doubt it's a coincidence that that is when President Trump was elected....likely many Australians living in the US promptly hit the eject button taking their US partners with them...the issue may well be a large increase in the volume of US applicants and DC staffing that hasn't kept up. Not for nothing the guy the moved our dogs and does a lot of US to Australia import work said he saw a big spike in transports post Trump. Still not entirely clear why processing can't be sent to Ottowa which seems to be efficient. The US contact number has already been rerouted there....
This makes sense - especially with the decent relationship Obama and previous presidents had with Prime Ministers.

I previously found an archived job posting from the Australian Embassy in DC for a visa processing agent - they were paying a$42k/yr. With that kind of compensation for DC, I don't see anyone having any urgency.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I doubt it's a coincidence that that is when President Trump was elected....likely many Australians living in the US promptly hit the eject button taking their US partners with them...the issue may well be a large increase in the volume of US applicants and DC staffing that hasn't kept up. Not for nothing the guy the moved our dogs and does a lot of US to Australia import work said he saw a big spike in transports post Trump. Still not entirely clear why processing can't be sent to Ottowa which seems to be efficient. The US contact number has already been rerouted there....
I think you're right about volume. I had called my local US constituent a few months back, and although they said they can't interfere, nor question, processing in a foreign embassy, she did say that around the time of the new president, partner applicant volume into the US almost quadrupled. Those fearful that new immigration policies might impede their future. She said and as with any budget, you can't process any faster, nor hire new staff until the new fiscal year, so their processing times have blown out as well.
Really wish they would localize processing times by country so we have a better idea, add more Aus assistance to catch up!

My fiancee and I did call home affairs last week in Aus, and again, although very nice, they confirmed US processing is still done in the embassy in Washington, and had no other information to provide in terms of timelines. So sad for us, we've had to cancel our Queensland wedding for November this week. I am heartbroken.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
I think you're right about volume. I had called my local US constituent a few months back, and although they said they can't interfere, nor question, processing in a foreign embassy, she did say that around the time of the new president, partner applicant volume into the US almost quadrupled. Those fearful that new immigration policies might impede their future. She said and as with any budget, you can't process any faster, nor hire new staff until the new fiscal year, so their processing times have blown out as well.
Really wish they would localize processing times by country so we have a better idea, add more Aus assistance to catch up!

My fiancee and I did call home affairs last week in Aus, and again, although very nice, they confirmed US processing is still done in the embassy in Washington, and had no other information to provide in terms of timelines. So sad for us, we've had to cancel our Queensland wedding for November this week. I am heartbroken.
You could have still married then changed the 300 to a 309. Or do the wedding without the legal marriage part then legally marry at the registry office later when on the 300.

·
Registered
38 Posts
That’s funny, I just spoke with immigration last week and they said the bridging visa would kick in automatically once the visa applicant stayed over the 90 day ETA threshold. If it didn’t they said call back but it should. I heard the same from a different immigration officer about 6 weeks ago when I called.

2981 - 3000 of 3867 Posts