Australia Forum banner
3021 - 3040 of 3867 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Went from Perth to Bali for 4 days each for 2 trips. The first trip was with my husband about 2 weeks before Christmas, the second was just me for my birthday. The third trip, I went to the US for 3 weeks with my husband for a vacation and to bring my sons to Australia to see if they'd like it. We flew in and out of Sydney. If it were me, I would NOT do a one day thing. It might set off a LOT of red flags, particularly with all the drug trafficking.
Really good advice!! Maybe 1 single trip to Bali for a long weekend and another to NZ!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I went to NZ for a weekend, and it got me grilled and a denied entry upon attempting to return to Australia. From everything we've had to deal with since, I'd have stayed out of Australia for MUCH longer.
Whats your home country? Do you have the 90 day with unlimited entry ETA?
I'm an American, I had the ETA.

Lawyers have advised that as it was my third entry in the same calendar year, that coincided with meeting year-end goals during a time of increased scrutiny of Americans, and my time out of Australia was so short, that's what caused it.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Lawyers have advised that as it was my third entry in the same calendar year, that coincided with meeting year-end goals during a time of increased scrutiny of Americans, and my time out of Australia was so short, that's what caused it.
I did 2 entries in a short period, zero issues but I did not do the 90 day ordeal yet. I was also out of the country for 3 weeks between visits!

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Whats your home country? Do you have the 90 day with unlimited entry ETA?

"An Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) provides authorisation to travel to and enter Australia and is electronically linked to your passport.

It is for short term stays
for tourism or business visitor activities such as attending a conference, making business enquiries, or for contractual negotiations."

Just because it's multiple entry and 90 day stays doesn't mean it's meant to be used to stay full time like that. It's common for them to stop people from doing it.

·
Registered
165 Posts

Also did they make you leave the 3rd time?
Yes, they cancelled it and denied me entry. In hindsight, I should have stayed out of the country longer and did more in depth-research rather than taking the policy at face value. I got hit with a 3 year ban on temporary visas, but the 309/100 doesn't count for that. So, my husband moved to the states in a matter of weeks and now we're just waiting for my grant to get back!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes, they cancelled it and denied me entry. In hindsight, I should have stayed out of the country longer and did more in depth-research rather than taking the policy at face value. I got hit with a 3 year ban on temporary visas, but the 309/100 doesn't count for that. So, my husband moved to the states in a matter of weeks and now we're just waiting for my grant to get back!
ouch! I am sorry to hear that! Thank you for telling it so others may avoid the same problem! Looks like I will be spending a month back in the states between visits

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has anybody recently had experience with a state police check from California?

This was the only request from our CO so I believe our visa is just pending this check. We did fingerprints and sent it off immediately. I put tracking on the documents and it was received 21 days ago. The DOJ website states checks should take 2-3 days and up to 10 if something is found on it. This certainly won’t be the case, the check will be clear but I am worried why it hasn’t been returned. We have tried calling but the department is ridiculous. Every menu option just refers to their website. The only time we could actually get a real person, they said the same thing and then just hung up!!

After more than 15 months since our submission, this is incredibly frustrating. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
31 Posts

This was the only request from our CO so I believe our visa is just pending this check. We did fingerprints and sent it off immediately. I put tracking on the documents and it was received 21 days ago. The DOJ website states checks should take 2-3 days and up to 10 if something is found on it. This certainly won't be the case, the check will be clear but I am worried why it hasn't been returned. We have tried calling but the department is ridiculous. Every menu option just refers to their website. The only time we could actually get a real person, they said the same thing and then just hung up!!

After more than 15 months since our submission, this is incredibly frustrating. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
we did one for my husband from North Carolina, it say 3-5 days but it ended up taking almost 4 weeks! It was over labor day weekend and the North Carolina hurricane but none the less it took much longer then expected. There may be some delay in the processing for the state clearance. my husband gave them a call about 2 weeks into the processing and they told him it was due to technical problems and will be sent out once it is resolved. if you worried about the 28 days to supply as long as you upload evidence that you applied for the police clearance they will wait for it. but hopefully it comes soon so you can get your visa.

·
Registered
3 Posts
309 processing time

Hi there, sorry new to this so not sure if this will come up as a new post or if its in a reply to a previous post. I came across this forum and found it helpful to see timelines of 309 visas processed specifically from Washington DC. I noticed that so far, those that submitted their applications in April 2017 seem to have been granted visas by now and only one application who submitted in May 2017. Has anyone else from this forum had their 309 or 100 granted yet after having submitted in May 2017 or later? Hubby and I have been waiting for 16 months now after having submitted in May 2017 & our immiaccount says we are at "Further Assessment". From anyone else's previous experience, how much longer did it take to progress from "Further Assessment" to having your visa granted? Hubby and I have our first bub on the way and it absolutely impossible to plan life just waiting and not knowing 😩

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thankyou for the reply, it’s a little reassuring. I don’t know why they advertise those times if in fact they are much longer. Not to mention that it’s a paid service!!

Yes, I had done exactly as you suggested. I uploaded the delivery receipt to show that it was applied for and the date it was received by the Department of Justice CA. I also updated our change of circumstances to reflect that we are just waiting for the clearance to be returned to us and will upload immediately. Hopefully it’s on it’s way and we can finally move forward with this entire process...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi all,
Update on our end - we received a request to provide further info (applied July 2017).
1. Birth Certificate for Applicant - we can't obtain this, any recommendations for what people have provided that's worked?
2. Birth Certificate for Sponsor (already attached in Sponsor application)
3. State Police Check (already attached and not expired - but told we needed to get a new one because it expired..when it only expires in Nov 2018)
4. FBI Check (as it expired) - does anyone know if we can get fingerprinted in Australia as we're currently visiting. We were hoping to get fingerprinted and send this to the approved partner Accurate Biometrics?

Also, for the files that have already been attached and aren't expired - how should we communicate this to our CO? Do we just re-attach?

Appreciate any help !

Thanks everyone!
Why can't you provide a birth certificate for the applicant? If you're from the US, then you can order one online from any state and get it fairly quickly. I had to get a new copy of mine and was able to do so quickly and easily. Not sure what you should do if you can't produce it, as it's a required document.

Yes, you can get fingerprinted here in Australia and send your FBI police check request to a channeler. Will still take a few weeks, but it's not difficult to do. As for the state police check, if they are requesting a new one, get a new one.

As for the submitted files, just a statement saying where they've been uploaded. Or, for peace of mind, attach them again making them clear.
Thank you for responding but unfortunately I moved to the US 25+ years ago from an under developed country and it's extremely difficult to retrieve this info when you don't live there. Thankfully we managed to get a copy of it.

As for the FBI checks, we will be returning back to the US in 2 weeks and will re submit.

For the police checks we re attached it and had sent an email out asking if this was an error (not sure if we will receive a response)If they confirm this is needed then I will resubmit as well. The only issue is it takes a little longer as they send a hard copy by mail.

Fingers crossed it's not much longer once we submit the requested documents.

·
Registered
125 Posts

This was the only request from our CO so I believe our visa is just pending this check. We did fingerprints and sent it off immediately. I put tracking on the documents and it was received 21 days ago. The DOJ website states checks should take 2-3 days and up to 10 if something is found on it. This certainly won't be the case, the check will be clear but I am worried why it hasn't been returned. We have tried calling but the department is ridiculous. Every menu option just refers to their website. The only time we could actually get a real person, they said the same thing and then just hung up!!

My dependant needed a Calif. State police check, took 2+ weeks to get a notification that they could not read the fingerprints. Have to go back to do it again. Now we'll be past the 28 days. I uploaded the letter so at least immi knows we attempted. FBI police check came back same day. Went to alivescan in San Diego

·
Registered
38 Posts
My partner and I both did CA background check this year no problem, my results came back in 1 week exactly and I think my partner's was about 10 days. If you are in SF I highly recommend ID solutions on Noriega st, the guy there is very knowledgeable!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there, sorry new to this so not sure if this will come up as a new post or if its in a reply to a previous post. I came across this forum and found it helpful to see timelines of 309 visas processed specifically from Washington DC. I noticed that so far, those that submitted their applications in April 2017 seem to have been granted visas by now and only one application who submitted in May 2017. Has anyone else from this forum had their 309 or 100 granted yet after having submitted in May 2017 or later? Hubby and I have been waiting for 16 months now after having submitted in May 2017 & our immiaccount says we are at "Further Assessment". From anyone else's previous experience, how much longer did it take to progress from "Further Assessment" to having your visa granted? Hubby and I have our first bub on the way and it absolutely impossible to plan life just waiting and not knowing 😩
Hi Lyndiz,
We submitted in May 2017 and were approved last week- so fingers crossed! Have you heard anything from the department? A polite phone call can't hurt..

Good luck!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Lyndiz,
We submitted in May 2017 and were approved last week- so fingers crossed! Have you heard anything from the department? A polite phone call can't hurt..

Good luck!!
Ohhh that's amazing news!!!! Congrats, you must be so happy! No unfortunately, we haven't heard anything further other than our request for info which I uploaded straight away and have had radio silence for months since then. Called Dep. Of Immigration a few times, but they just say to wait until we are contacted. Hopefully ours gets granted sometime this year. Thanks for letting me know yours got approved and congrats!!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi Lyndiz,

Good luck!!
Huge congrats! Did your enter by date correspond with your background/health checks? Would love to know more about that aspect of it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi all, we applied July 2017 and have just received a request for additional information including an AFP check. Does anyone know whether they need an AFP check with fingerprints or the standard AFP check? Thanks!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi all, we applied July 2017 and have just received a request for additional information including an AFP check. Does anyone know whether they need an AFP check with fingerprints or the standard AFP check? Thanks!
Just the standard one you order online. Costs about $42 off the top of my head.

Edit: Assuming from what you have posted, you only need just the Australian check right? If you need one from the states also, then I believe that one requires digital prints.

3021 - 3040 of 3867 Posts