Australia Forum banner

3041 - 3060 of 3862 Posts

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Hi all, we applied July 2017 and have just received a request for additional information including an AFP check. Does anyone know whether they need an AFP check with fingerprints or the standard AFP check? Thanks!
How do I obtain a police certificate?

For instructions on obtaining a certificate from an overseas government or law enforcement authority, refer to the relevant country information.

If you are required to provide an Australian police clearance certificate because you have spent more than 12 months in Australia within the last 10 years, you must complete the Australian Federal Police (AFP) National Police Check application form which is available at the AFP National Police Checks page on the AFP website.

You should use Code 33 at Question 1 on the form and include details of any, and all, names you have been known by.

If an AFP certificate is provided based on incorrect information, we might request another certificate. State and Territory issued police certificates are not accepted.

Note: Fingerprints are not required for AFP National Police Checks.

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa/char

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just out of curiosity how many of you have used an agent? Just curious if it really makes a difference in wait times.
We chose to use a lawyer - not an agent - as we wanted to put forward the best possible application, as well as have someone who knows the system in and out in Australia working for us.

It was one of the smartest choices we've made - they made the process so easy and completed all forms and did the application for us. They even handled booking medical exams and obtaining police/FBI checks. It's been completely invaluable and I'm so glad we did. For the cost, and importance of this, I was happy to hire a professional to handle it.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
It can prevent incomplete applications, which could save time. It's no guarantee and no reputable agent or lawyer would ever claim they can speed things up.
Maybe, but not all agents or lawyers are created equal. Some have caused such delays and others may have prevented them. I've been reading these forums daily for 3.5 years and have seen people use agents/lawyers that got grants faster than most and also much slower. Same goes for DIY applications, some faster and some slower than average.

That's not to say that agents aren't worth using. But whether or not they make a difference in processing time? If that question refers to COs looking at an app faster than DIYs, then no, I seriously doubt it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Huge congrats! Did your enter by date correspond with your background/health checks? Would love to know more about that aspect of it.
We got April 2019.. i think that was about one year after my (sponsor's) police check was obtained, but otherwise it was a fairly random date!
Thanks, for some it seems that way but others don't follow that. Appreciate it!

·
Registered
38 Posts
How do I obtain a police certificate?

For instructions on obtaining a certificate from an overseas government or law enforcement authority, refer to the relevant country information.

If you are required to provide an Australian police clearance certificate because you have spent more than 12 months in Australia within the last 10 years, you must complete the Australian Federal Police (AFP) National Police Check application form which is available at the AFP National Police Checks page on the AFP website.

You should use Code 33 at Question 1 on the form and include details of any, and all, names you have been known by.

If an AFP certificate is provided based on incorrect information, we might request another certificate. State and Territory issued police certificates are not accepted.

Note: Fingerprints are not required for AFP National Police Checks.

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa/char
Thanks very much!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,

Just wanted to give an update and so admin can add our details to the list of processed applications. Our 309 got granted end of last week after 17 months of waiting and we are absolutely wrapped!
Submitted May 16th 2017
Granted October 4th 2018
As agonising and devastating as it is to just sit and wait with your life on hold, you will get there in the end with patience!!! We'd almost completely given up hope, but it was THE best automated email I have ever received in my life. Hang in there, we all know what everyone has had to go through to share a life with their partner. Good luck to everyone and hope yours gets granted soon!!!

Hi Lyndiz,
We submitted in May 2017 and were approved last week- so fingers crossed! Have you heard anything from the department? A polite phone call can't hurt..

Good luck!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi all,

Just wanted to give an update and so admin can add our details to the list of processed applications. Our 309 got granted end of last week after 17 months of waiting and we are absolutely wrapped!
Submitted May 16th 2017
Granted October 4th 2018
As agonising and devastating as it is to just sit and wait with your life on hold, you will get there in the end with patience!!! We'd almost completely given up hope, but it was THE best automated email I have ever received in my life. Hang in there, we all know what everyone has had to go through to share a life with their partner. Good luck to everyone and hope yours gets granted soon!!!
That's great Lyndiz87! You must be so relieved. That means all the May 2017's that have posted here have their visas and all of June and half of the July 2017's have at least heard from immigration. Processing is moving even if it is taking forever....

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's great seeing all the US grants coming through now :)...just wish there were some coming through via London. I can't remember the last time we saw a 300 or 309 from there :confused:

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's great seeing all the US grants coming through now :)...just wish there were some coming through via London. I can't remember the last time we saw a 300 or 309 from there :confused:
Yes indeed. I am looking at Business sponsorship now because my Company wants me in Sydney in January and I have been waiting since March. Painful.

·
Registered
187 Posts
In a facebook group for the Partner Visa (a very young/naive crowd, generally) there have been several recent grants from London - they seem to be moving much faster than DC, with grants around 6-8 months.

·
Registered
38 Posts
In a facebook group for the Partner Visa (a very young/naive crowd, generally) there have been several recent grants from London - they seem to be moving much faster than DC, with grants around 6-8 months.
Well here's hoping. I'm into month 7 of waiting (via London) to hear about a decision on my 300. Flying over to Oz for a few weeks in November. My RMA was hoping we might hear something before I travel but I'm certainly not getting any hopes up!:cool:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well here's hoping. I'm into month 7 of waiting (via London) to hear about a decision on my 300. Flying over to Oz for a few weeks in November. My RMA was hoping we might hear something before I travel but I'm certainly not getting any hopes up!:cool:
Hi Noodlejaffa, I thought I'd put some context around the visa's you've seen coming through out of the DC office. We have seen 15 users that have been contacted by immigration either for visa approval or request for more information. No one has waited less than 13 months for contact. The average is 14.3. lyndiz87 who was approved the other day heard nothing for almost 17 months. What's worse, each month the processing time is blowing out by 0.3 months. i.e if the current average is 14.3 in 3 months time it will be 15.3. I know all too well how frustrating this process can be and I hope you're not being processed through DC and that your visa comes through soon. The canada or dubai threads are probably better places to vent 7 months of frustration. Those guys seem to move much faster.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Request for info

Hello all. We just received a request for more info today! They wanted an FBI background check and AFP check for my Aussie partner and a state background check for me! Let's hope they get back to us soon. We applied July 25, 2017.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Noodlejaffa, I thought I'd put some context around the visa's you've seen coming through out of the DC office. We have seen 15 users that have been contacted by immigration either for visa approval or request for more information. No one has waited less than 13 months for contact. The average is 14.3. lyndiz87 who was approved the other day heard nothing for almost 17 months. What's worse, each month the processing time is blowing out by 0.3 months. i.e if the current average is 14.3 in 3 months time it will be 15.3. I know all too well how frustrating this process can be and I hope you're not being processed through DC and that your visa comes through soon. The canada or dubai threads are probably better places to vent 7 months of frustration. Those guys seem to move much faster.
I was genuinely congratulating those lucky to enough to have heard about their visa, not intending to 'vent 7 months of frustration'. As stated in my post, my application is going through London, not Dubai or Canada. I'm not worrying myself about hard facts, figures and statistics. What will be will be...I don't see the point in getting over excited about something we can't control.

3041 - 3060 of 3862 Posts