Australia Forum banner

601 - 620 of 3862 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #601 ·
It is awful being separated from the person you love. We were apart for 15 months post-engagement thanks to two Immigration processes. Hang in there!

·
Registered
141 Posts
You poor thing 15 months is so long :( did you not get too see each other at all in that time? My partner and I both agreed to make a Plan B if we are not approved by january.. It would just suck though if i packed up all my stuff to go back to america and than we were granted the next month. I hate how its all up in the air and they dont give you any information to when it could be granted :(

·
Registered
84 Posts
Aw, thanks so much! :) What a sweet compliment.

Yeah, Travel and visiting relatives is just fine. :) Don't be nervous - quite honestly, from the US, generally tourist visas are not a problem unless you're way overusing them, which you aren't. It won't be a black mark, even if denied, and it won't affect your partner visa application in ANY way, promise. Hang in there! You'll get there. :)
You're always incredibly helpful and it's reassuring to have someone with firsthand experience explain things, especially since the Immi site raises more questions than providing answers. :)

Regarding the tourist visas I have been using, I was granted a 12 month multiple entry back in 2012 when I first came over for Christmas and my husband proposed, and then I got another 12 month multiple entry when I came for the big move back in Nov 2013. That one I used and stayed from Nov to Jan 2014, left, and then I came back again on it in June 2014 after the wedding (the one I'm on now that expires in Oct). Do you think they'd see this as overusing them?

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #604 ·
Because of the cost of travel and both of us not having enough leave at work, we only got to see each other for one two-week holiday during that whole period. :( We had finally given up on waiting and gotten an ETA for me to go to Australia. It was when I messaged my CO to remind her about my upcoming ETA trip that she took pity on me and kindly granted my PMV.

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #605 ·
You're always incredibly helpful and it's reassuring to have someone with firsthand experience explain things, especially since the Immi site raises more questions than providing answers. :)

Regarding the tourist visas I have been using, I was granted a 12 month multiple entry back in 2012 when I first came over for Christmas and my husband proposed, and then I got another 12 month multiple entry when I came for the big move back in Nov 2013. That one I used and stayed from Nov to Jan 2014, left, and then I came back again on it in June 2014 after the wedding (the one I'm on now that expires in Oct). Do you think they'd see this as overusing them?
I wouldn't be concerned. It's people who don't qualify for partner visas yet and are using 3-month stays consecutively to build up time to get to their 12 months de facto evidence who can sometimes get hassled about it on their second or third trips back in on their ETA. If they said anything to you, you can always just say "We've already applied for a Partner Visa, and in the meantime we're just holidaying and I'm getting to know the country." Very, very, very little chance they'd give you a hard time at all. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned. It's people who don't qualify for partner visas yet and are using 3-month stays consecutively to build up time to get to their 12 months de facto evidence who can sometimes get hassled about it on their second or third trips back in on their ETA. If they said anything to you, you can always just say "We've already applied for a Partner Visa, and in the meantime we're just holidaying and I'm getting to know the country." Very, very, very little chance they'd give you a hard time at all. :)
*phew* Cool.

I submitted the 600 application. -_-; Every time I push submit I feel like my heart is going to pound out of my chest. I'm uploading documents for it now, and the set up is exactly like the Partner VISA upload section. I presume 'certified' copies means just full color uploads again?

I don't suppose anyone else has done a 600 before and wants to share a quick list of all the stuff they uploaded or submitted...? :D

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #607 ·
It's like that for other visa classes, so I'd imagine in all likelihood it's the same for the 600, too. Not sure why it'd be different.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It's like that for other visa classes, so I'd imagine in all likelihood it's the same for the 600, too. Not sure why it'd be different.
You'd think, but like many of the other things on the Immi site, the application checklist for the 600 seems outdated (as it makes no reference to uploading anything at all and only notes 'certified' copies for the requirement). :p

It's more than likely the same as the online 309, but I'll scour the main page which seems to get updated slightly more consistently to see if it says anything there.

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #609 ·
Hey H. Protagonist, did you want to be added to the list of folks waiting on the first post of this thread?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Having this community available when launching and waiting for your visa is super helpful. But, it alone isn't going to get you through the wait. For me, it was harder that first month, waiting for a CO. If you really look around you'll see many don't even get COs (or notified of) until just before their grant and many of those cases are fast. Don't get too hung up on following a step process- it's just not that systematic.

My advice is to try to find something else to make you happy in the meantime until you can be with your partner again like a new hobby or a course or a change of job. I completely understand the urge to quit your job and go there early. I've had the same thought many times. But life has to go on while waiting for your partner visa and it has to continue once you're there. So do yourself and your loved one a favor by continuing to develop yourself, your career, and your relationship (yes you can do that without being physically together it's just a little harder). If we're in for a long wait anyway we may as well make the best of it! (but here's to wishing our long wait isn't as long as we're all afraid of :) )

Reactions: H.Protagonist

·
Registered
155 Posts
heats have you done your police checks or medicals yet?
Yes, I thought I needed to wait on a CO but when I called in to DC about mouth after applying to see what I needed to do, they asked me if I have these docs yet.. I said no I was waiting until I was told to do so.. He then told me they were good for a year and visas were taking 8 months to proses an to get it done to prevent that being what holds me up in the end.

They guy at DC was named Wilman. I have spoken to him a few times and he had been a big help. I even sent a letter to the "contact us" link about what an asset he is to them and how awesome he has been to me... I got back a nice note for my compliment and assured that my letter would get to his bosses..

Sorry went a little off subject there, but Yes I got my stuff. The Dr is about 2 blocks from my house and was an in and out deal. Cost me about 200 bucks. I got my state clearance very fast, aus fed police back in about a week. FBI took over 30 days to get back to me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey H. Protagonist, did you want to be added to the list of folks waiting on the first post of this thread?
Sure! Throw me on up there with the other hopefuls. ^_^ While I'm waiting around for my C.O. and final decision maybe I can be of assistance to others with slightly weird international relationships that require 5 police certificates, a lot of bouncing back and forth, and throwing career and home to the winds for this Australian hell, er, adventure! :D

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #613 ·
Great. :) Added you!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Sure! Throw me on up there with the other hopefuls. ^_^ While I'm waiting around for my C.O. and final decision maybe I can be of assistance to others with slightly weird international relationships that require 5 police certificates, a lot of bouncing back and forth, and throwing career and home to the winds for this Australian hell, er, adventure! :D
I will need 3 police certificates lol....I'm in an international tailspin myself lol

·
Registered
155 Posts
ok, last night I was thinking over everything and rather than bother my new friend Wilman in DC. I will ask you guys.

as you know I applied for 309/100. My wife and I have adopted our son from Child protective services (CPS) 2 years ago. We have the paperwork that he is fully our child now. (the court / state even gave us new birth certs with us as his parents)
He can not get citizenship by birth like my daughter did, so is on my application.

Do I need to get the background checks done for my wife? Should I wait to see if they ask (as she is his legal and rightful mother?)

I wish I had that CO to ask

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #616 ·
Hmmm, that's a good question. I think I'd wait and see if they ask for them. Typically they only ask if it's not the sponsor's child.

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #617 ·

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #619 ·
Ohhh, okay, I see. Sorry. :)

601 - 620 of 3862 Posts