Australia Forum banner
881 - 900 of 3867 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
IndyMama what visa are you looking at. My partner 'to be' was over here in July till beginning of September on an ETA visa which gives him a year where he can come in and out of the country for 90 days at a time. As we are planning on him hanging out until the visa is processed we are wondering if we should look at changing up his visa as well. Especially with the timeframe given for applications at the moment.
Hey MamaBear-
Either the ETA or the 600. I'm unsure whether they will grant me either, based on a conversation I had with them on my last entry (my second 3 month stay on an ETA with only 3 weeks in between). They questioned my genuine visitor intent, basically, and also let me know that working remotely for my US based employer was not really OK. They told me that I would need a 457 or a partner visa next time I came over, but not in any official (written) statement. The migration agents I've spoken with thought it likely that I would be able to get a VV if I had a partner visa application filed.
When I emailed last Wednesday I explained that I had a PMV application filed and that I had three visits planned that were likely to occur before grant of the PMV, and outlined the dates and reasons for each of the visits. I asked which visitor visa would be the best one given my circumstances. I also asked whether a CO had been assigned to my case and whether I could talk to them directly about planned visits.

I called on Monday morning after reading about the ban on West African visas and those from "Ebola-affected" countries (the OP on a different thread provided a list of "ebola-affected" countries but the news article they cited was not explicit about which countries' visas were on hold. Turns out it's just the three west African countries and not the US or Spain, btw). Since I had DIBP on the phone I asked about a CO but since I had already sent the email I didn't ask about the VV.
So that's the full scoop!

I think I'll wait till the end of the week to see if they email back then go ahead and apply for the ETA online and see what happens.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks Indy for both the reply and the update.

We have my fiancés medicals booked in the US next week (could have had them done here in Aus when he arrived for a little cheaper but he is keen to have it all done) and are in the process of the FBI checks. We are going the route of put it all in there so all they have to do is look and tick lol. If it takes as long as the washington website suggests then we may end up doing it all again I guess. I'll go for glass half full though and hope for 7-8 months :)

Hope it doesn't take 12 weeks Heat!

·
Registered
18 Posts
My PMV subclass 300 was granted today!!! We lodged our paper application on May 3, 2014. It was complete except for medical, which was done immediately upon receipt of a HAP ID. I cleared Medicals on June 30. I had no additional contact from them, except for my "any progress?" phone calls every couple of months. After hearing that processing times were now 12-15 months, we wrote an email to DIBP asking for more specific information on my application. To my total surprise, my CO (first contact) wrote back to tell me it was on track to be finalised in November, and since I was in Sydney on my ETA, that I needed to make travel plans to leave Australia, and notify her of my plans. I left the country immediately!! Today, I received my emailed Grant Letter!! My CO was RM. She was very professional in her communications.

I woke my fiancée at 2 AM in Sydney with the news. What a happy call, tears, laughing, new plans.

I've already completed all my preparations here in the States, so I'm going back to Sydney this week!!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Congratulations JerseytoOz!!!! Thanks so much for keeping us updated. Safe travels back to your new home and best wishes to you and your partner as you begin your life in Australia together 'for real'!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Congratulations!

Hi JerseyToOz - thanks for sharing your wonderful news. It's good to hear of the professionalism of your CO. Safe travels back and best wishes for your upcoming wedding and a long and happy life together in Oz. :):):)

My PMV subclass 300 was granted today!!! We lodged our paper application on May 3, 2014. It was complete except for medical, which was done immediately upon receipt of a HAP ID. I cleared Medicals on June 30. I had no additional contact from them, except for my "any progress?" phone calls every couple of months. After hearing that processing times were now 12-15 months, we wrote an email to DIBP asking for more specific information on my application. To my total surprise, my CO (first contact) wrote back to tell me it was on track to be finalised in November, and since I was in Sydney on my ETA, that I needed to make travel plans to leave Australia, and notify her of my plans. I left the country immediately!! Today, I received my emailed Grant Letter!! My CO was RM. She was very professional in her communications.

I woke my fiancée at 2 AM in Sydney with the news. What a happy call, tears, laughing, new plans.

I've already completed all my preparations here in the States, so I'm going back to Sydney this week!!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Congratulations!!!!!

What a happy news!!! Many Congratulations to you and your partner :D:D
Wish you a blessed re-union and a happy life together in Australia :D
Your post brought tears to my eyes :p

Its great to hear that there are some case officers out there who are so dedicated and professional towards their job, knowing the fact that they are the ones who decide our future :)

GOD bless you and wish you safe travels back to Australia :) and a beautiful wedding, have a great time!! Being married is the best feeling :D
Thanks for sharing such a wonderful news with us.
Have a great week! :D

Best Wishes,
Becky

Reactions: MamaBear and Dinkum

·
Registered
61 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!!!:D:D:D

This brought tears to my eyes too….. So very happy for you Jersey.

Long distance relationships are tough and I honestly don't know how people managed to do it for so long when you had to wait upon a letter and a photo, I think it's awful enough with Skype and text! But when you hear of others getting to the final stage it brings joy to the heart and I think we each take a little of the celebration cheer back to our partners knowing one day it will hopefully be us. So thanks for sharing :eek: and good luck with the wedding plans and your happily ever after.

·
Super Moderator
2,099 Posts
Congratulations! What beautiful news, and now you can have your first Thanksgiving in Australia!
Congratulations on your visa, though you may be disappointed to know there is no Thanksgiving in Australia, however it is celebrated by the U.S. expat community so with a bit of luck you might be able to get an invite to one of their functions.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Congratulations on your visa, though you may be disappointed to know there is no Thanksgiving in Australia, however it is celebrated by the U.S. expat community so with a bit of luck you might be able to get an invite to one of their functions.
Lol! Sorry I found that funny. Congrats on the visa. I know a lot of my American friends and fam don't get the thanksgiving thing... Nor understand that it's summer in Dec.

881 - 900 of 3867 Posts