Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I intend on getting legal advice, however in the meantime I’d like to find out if anyone has had a similar issue to one I’m facing and what the outcome was in respect of the character requirements of the PMV.

My fiancé, who is not from a high risk country, will be the applicant and I will be the sponsor.
Approximately 20 years ago, he was arrested and sentenced to 15 days for failing to appear in court. The original charge related to no car insurance.
Approximately 15 years ago he was convicted of possession of cannabis and received a conditional discharge after meeting the requirements, which was a donation.
Just recently, he was arrested and served 15 days for failing to appear in court. The original charge was no car insurance.
He will also have to appear in court shortly for having no car insurance and an expired drivers license.

From what I’ve read and understood, he’s served less than 12 months and the offences are not any that relate to a those that Australia consider to be a serious enough offence to decline a visa. However I believe that the department also take into consideration whether you are of “good character” and the means of determining that are very broad and not set in stone.

So I’m looking to find out if anyone else has had a similar case and if you were approved or declined?

Thank you!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Would recommend contacting a good RMA.

Several on the board here are very reputable and knowledgeable. There is a sticky with their contact details.

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
It's not just SERVED 12 months, but if the SENTENCE was 12 months - sometimes people only serve part of their sentence or part of it gets waived (not the right word, but you know what I mean). It's the total lengths of the sentences that matter. I agree with the above - talk to a good RMA just to be safe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.