Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Hoping to just get some general advice on our situation. I met and dated a guy for a month last year. Great guy but the timing was bad so we parted ways. We reconnected via Facebook 5 months ago - unfortunately only 4 months before that he moved back to Europe - and have been chatting every day and night since via FB and what'sapp. The conversations have covered everything under the sun and we've both realised this is something serious.
I'm flying to The Netherlands in a few days to spend Christmas and New Year's with him and meet his family and friends. Then 10 days later we are going to spend 2 weeks in Thailand together and discuss our plans for the future.

We have evidence of meeting and dating a year ago. we never met each others's friends and have no photos, but have old text messages. WE have 4-5 months worth of whatsapp chat any time of the day you could imagine. We will have photos of friends and family over christmas, and plenty of holiday snaps in thailand. We tag each other in FB a lot and our friends know about our story and are willing to help with stat decs etc.

I have an EU visa and could move there, but don't have the language, and struggle in the cold. He loves Australia and has a good network here, so we both want him to come here, rather than me move.

He was here for 4 years on a 457 Visa, and has NZ PR, but as the Dutch only allow one passport, he never wanted to give it up and apply for AUS or NZ citizenship - he really regrets that now!

So - what does everyone think? We want to get engaged in Thailand then apply for a PMV when we get back to our counties in Feb. How long realistically will it take for us to pull the paperwork together and what do you think our chances are? we intend on doing it online. Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
PMV is pretty much the only way for you to go, your chances are good, just gice them as much evidence as you possibly can
If you can put all the paperwork together for your trip he can then apply when he returns to the Netherlands, or you could apply in Thailand too.
Once you apply if you then want to spend the time together you could get a visitor visa to Oz for him.

Alternatively you could try for a 12 month visitor visa to OZ hoping there would be "no further stay" attached to it, then at the end of the 12 months you could either marry and apply or apply on de-facto grounds, he would then get a bridging visa and be able to stay until a decision is made.

I would go the PMV.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
How long realistically will it take for us to pull the paperwork together and what do you think our chances are? we intend on doing it online. Thanks in advance :)
At least 2 to 3 weeks to get all the paperwork sorted (unless you are super efficient).

You should be fine for a PMV if you provide the correct evidence.

Processing could be 10 to 12 months. he could come and visit on a tourist visa once the PMV has been lodged.

I think trying to stay onshore on a TV to get enough co-habitiation time for an onshore partner visa is not such a good idea, especially because he won't be able to work.

If he was in Australia on a sc. 457 visa for 4 years, can't he get another sc. 457 with the same sponsor ? They are processed quite quickly. From there onwards he'd be able to apply for a permanent sponsored visa or do the onshore partner visa.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PMV is pretty much the only way for you to go, your chances are good, just gice them as much evidence as you possibly can
If you can put all the paperwork together for your trip he can then apply when he returns to the Netherlands, or you could apply in Thailand too.
Once you apply if you then want to spend the time together you could get a visitor visa to Oz for him.

Alternatively you could try for a 12 month visitor visa to OZ hoping there would be "no further stay" attached to it, then at the end of the 12 months you could either marry and apply or apply on de-facto grounds, he would then get a bridging visa and be able to stay until a decision is made.

I would go the PMV.
Thanks for that - I agree the PMV is the best way. We have a few factors that we need to consider - he is needed in Europe to play sport at a national level for his team in July, so can't leave before then. He really wants to play for his country so I don't want him to give that up. So that gives us 6mths of waiting anyway. We also don't want him to come on a visitor visa and not be able to work - I think that would be too stressful for him and not a nice way to start things off - I'd prefer we take a bit more time and have him come here all ready to start living as an Australian and working etc. At least the PMV allows him to start working straight away and then once we are married we will look at onshore partner visa.

I've seen quite a few posts from europeans that show that got their visa in 6-9 months. Is 10-12 the formal time frame they put up as the worst case scenario?

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.