Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
1. That wouldn't exactly work because if your visa is granted tomorrow, it's only valid for 9 months.

2. You can see what others post in this forum but it's not really very accurate as only a very small percentage of applicant's would post here at all.

3. I doubt it and never heard of anyone trying. Who knows? Maybe they will.

All you would need to do is enter by the must make first entry by date, then marry anywhere in the world (as long as it is legally recognized by Australia), and then apply for the 820/801 before the 300 expires (9 months from grant date). Even if you apply for the 820/801 one month into the PMV, the BVA won't kick in until the PMV ends while you're onshore, so you'd still have those 9 months to travel freely.

Unfortunately, you could have drawn out the finalization of the visa by not submitting medicals or police checks and hoping they take a long time to acquire, but if your application is ready to go, it's likely a decision will be made once it's looked at and you'll end up with a grant email one day.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. That wouldn't exactly work because if your visa is granted tomorrow, it's only valid for 9 months.

2. You can see what others post in this forum but it's not really very accurate as only a very small percentage of applicant's would post here at all.

3. I doubt it and never heard of anyone trying. Who knows? Maybe they will.

All you would need to do is enter by the must make first entry by date, then marry anywhere in the world (as long as it is legally recognized by Australia), and then apply for the 820/801 before the 300 expires (9 months from grant date). Even if you apply for the 820/801 one month into the PMV, the BVA won't kick in until the PMV ends while you're onshore, so you'd still have those 9 months to travel freely.

Unfortunately, you could have drawn out the finalization of the visa by not submitting medicals or police checks and hoping they take a long time to acquire, but if your application is ready to go, it's likely a decision will be made once it's looked at and you'll end up with a grant email one day.
I've shot myself in the foot by getting everything done in advance.
I think, if it hasn't been granted by September, I might redo the medicals and PCC, then regardless of when the visa is granted, we'll have a bit more time to plan my initial entry to Australia.

One more question:
Once the PMV is granted and we're married, does the 820/801 application have to be lodged while I'm onshore (since it is an onshore application)?
If so, I'd need to enter Australia before the first entry date, we can then get married anywhere in the world, and then (if we're still based in England) I'd need to re-enter Australia at some point before the 9 months have expired to lodge the 820/801 application, and also be onshore when the PMV expires so that I can go over to the BVA (and then apply for the BVB if need be)?

I apologise for the repetition, I wouldn't want to overlook any of these details, and this forum has been so helpful with that.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Correct. You need to be onshore on the 300 and married, then apply for the 820/801. You can leave and come back after that as long as the 300 is still valid in those 9 months. Just reenter at some point before it ends and allow it to end while you're onshore so the BVA can kick in. Then you'll need the BVB to leave.

Of course, this is assuming the 820 doesn't get granted before the 300 ends (you need to be onshore for grant but they will notify you if you're not and ask you to reenter). For a some people, an 820 from a 300 is very quick. Mine took just 20 days.

So if you get the 820 before the 300 ends, you wouldn't need to worry about a BVB for travel. Might be in your best interest then to marry sooner after the 300 grant and get your 820/801 app in early.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Correct. You need to be onshore on the 300 and married, then apply for the 820/801. You can leave and come back after that as long as the 300 is still valid in those 9 months. Just reenter at some point before it ends and allow it to end while you're onshore so the BVA can kick in. Then you'll need the BVB to leave.

Of course, this is assuming the 820 doesn't get granted before the 300 ends (you need to be onshore for grant but they will notify you if you're not and ask you to reenter). For a some people, an 820 from a 300 is very quick. Mine took just 20 days.

So if you get the 820 before the 300 ends, you wouldn't need to worry about a BVB for travel. Might be in your best interest then to marry sooner after the 300 grant and get your 820/801 app in early.
Thank you so much for the replies!
It seems we do have options, we'll just need to be flexible and work with what we're given 🙂

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi MsT

Have you guys had any updates on your visa application?
Hi!
No updates or contact from a CO.
It's a little difficult to estimate a recent average processing time from Pretoria since I haven't come across many applicants for a partner/pmv visa, but hopefully we'll get good news soon 🙂

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.