Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm relatively new to this website, though ive spent hours, days, weeks even scowering the forums for answers to my questions. I've visited the immigration website many times and have read every booklet and FAQ I could find. So although I'm somewhat familiar with this process, please feel free to address me as a complete noob :).

My situation is this. My fiance is Australian, I'm American. We've known each other for about 2.5 years and have been in a committed relationship for 1.5 years now. I've visited him in Australia twice now. Once for about a week and then for 3 weeks. We have another visit planned for a couple of months from now.

The reason our situation is unique and what confuses me about the process is that he is currently on a carer's pension because he cares for his father who is terminally I'll with cancer. He's been on the carer's pension for about 3 years now. Because we are recently engaged and planning a life together , he's currently looking to hire a nurse for his father and go back to work. My question is, how would this likely effect our application for a PMV? The carer's pension pays very little, certainly not enough to pay for a visa any time soon And definitely not enough to support both of us for any length of time.

Also another question that I'm frustrated to say Ive not found an answer to is this. If we pay for and receive a Pmv, would we then have to pay for a spouse visa as well?

If there is any insight you all have on a situation like this please help. We're just trying to make plans at this point. We hope to file the application within the next six months.

Thank you so much!

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
People receiving Centrelink benefits have successfully sponsored partner visas, so his income isn't a critical factor to be considered.

When you receive the PMV, it's valid for 9 months. During that 9 months you MUST (in this order):
- travel to Australia to activate the visa
- get married (can be done in Australia or overseas)
- apply for a partner visa (from onshore in Australia and you get a bridging visa to cover any gap between the PMV and partner visa)

Note that the 820 visa fee when you hold a PMV is not the same as the fee if you apply directly for an 820 visa. If you hold a PMV I think it's about $1165.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the quick reply Maggie! That's exactly what I needed to know.
You said I would get a bridging visa to cover the time between the PMV and 820. Is that automatically the case or is that something we'd have to apply for as well?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Thanks so much for the quick reply Maggie! That's exactly what I needed to know.
You said I would get a bridging visa to cover the time between the PMV and 820. Is that automatically the case or is that something we'd have to apply for as well?
automatic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.