Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have read a lot about other people's applications for a PMV and there seem to be an emphasis on the engagement ring.

Problem is, neither my fiancé nor myself are big on such rings... As a result, on most pictures we provided after the engagement, she is not even wearing the ring (she just never wear rings in general, apart from earrings she doesn't like jewellery). Is the CO going to throw a bloody tantrum at that?

And to be honest, I hear people showing the receipt for it... But our ring was not especially expensive (after paying for the visa we are pretty broke to be honest...) so is the CO going to say it's not genuine because I did not pour thousands in a ring that my fiancé would not even enjoy in the first place?

It is making us nervous as we feel that, generally, they seem to have strange expectations... We provided tons of pictures showing our relationship and the people in our life already. We would not want that to backfire.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Hello all,

I have read a lot about other people's applications for a PMV and there seem to be an emphasis on the engagement ring.

It is making us nervous.....
Don't worry about what are people are doing and saying. Your application is about you and you alone. No 2 cases are the same.

I constantly get inquiries from people who are turning themselves into nervous wrecks , because of what they read on FB and online forums. A lot of well intended "advice" often achieves the opposite. In today's world, everybody is an expert.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't worry about what are people are doing and saying.
A lot of well intended "advice" often achieves the opposite. In today's world, everybody is an expert.
That is true. It is even worse for my fiancé because a lot of advices she read in forums on her own language are honestly dreadful: they contradict what is clearly written on the immigration website and are rarely even making sense, to the point I encouraged her to stop looking. But of course she sometimes feel like she needs reassurance.

To be honest I find a lot of the info is clearly written on the website of the department of immigration. What makes me more anxious is the appreciation the CO will make of the documentation and this feeling that the CO is granted a huge power to arbitrarily decide who's worthy of living together and who's not. There are just no precise answer for this and probably this is what makes a lot of people look for answers and other people's experiences. But as you said it's never true for everyone.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
That is true. It is even worse for my fiancé because a lot of advices she read in forums on her own language are honestly dreadful: they contradict what is clearly written on the immigration website and are rarely even making sense, to the point I encouraged her to stop looking. But of course she sometimes feel like she needs reassurance.

To be honest I find a lot of the info is clearly written on the website of the department of immigration. What makes me more anxious is the appreciation the CO will make of the documentation and this feeling that the CO is granted a huge power to arbitrarily decide who's worthy of living together and who's not. There are just no precise answer for this and probably this is what makes a lot of people look for answers and other people's experiences. But as you said it's never true for everyone.
The amount of incorrect information out there is simply staggering. A lot of people mistake their opinion for facts.

The requirements are fairly clear-cut. The sort of evidence to provide is not and totally depends on individual circumstances, cultural background, nationality, religion even.

You need to present the evidence in a systematic fashion and explain how the evidence provided addresses each of the requirements.

I understand that people seek assurance, but what often happens is that they listen to people who tell them what they want to hear or start doubting themselves needlessly, because of someone else's ill-informed opinion.

In your example, the receipt for an engagement ring means nothing by itself. In some cases, an informal engagement ceremony, even without family, is perfectly fine, while in other cases a formal, cultural appropriate ceremony would be expected.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The requirements are fairly clear-cut. The sort of evidence to provide is not and totally depends on individual circumstances, cultural background, nationality, religion even.

You need to present the evidence in a systematic fashion and explain how the evidence provided addresses each of the requirements.
Agreed and understood. She comes from a culture labelled as formal but her family very much is not... And anytime I hear about those proofs that people seem to see as compulsory, I often think they don't really prove anything... Like pictures of us with my parents for example, what proves we simply did not take a picture with my ageing neighbours? Are they going to track down my father to know what face he really has? It's kind of entirely arbitrary. I reasoned the best way to deal with it was to be honest and genuine as much as you can, we have plenty of pics in different location, if we were to fake a wedding that would be a bit protracted, and if we were they can just deny us the partner visa later on.

Probably the long delay for them to process is making people nervous as you have plenty of time to simmer on it and to start doubting things and hearing more.

In our case we try to focus on my daughter since she is the reason why we need to relocate to Australia, we showed tons of pics with her and a child cannot fake love, which he obvious she has for both of us on all the pictures.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
We never provided receipts of an engagement ring. I know of plenty of friends in genuine relationships that don't even wear rings, others that only wear Qalo silicon ones which cost about $20-30. Every relationship is different and there are more ways to prove the genuinity of one besides an engagement ring.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We never provided receipts of an engagement ring. I know of plenty of friends in genuine relationships that don't even wear rings, others that only wear Qalo silicon ones which cost about $20-30. Every relationship is different and there are more ways to prove the genuinity of one besides an engagement ring.
I did not either when I had to apply for my own partner visa in the past. At the time we only showed pictures together and a few proofs that we travelled together. And of course some bills and rental agreements, but I cannot do it as the whole problem is I never had the chance to live with my fiancé (excluding the multiple times she came to stay with me on a tourist visa)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hello all,

Problem is, neither my fiancé nor myself are big on such rings... As a result, on most pictures we provided after the engagement, she is not even wearing the ring (she just never wear rings in general, apart from earrings she doesn't like jewellery). Is the CO going to throw a bloody tantrum at that?

And to be honest, I hear people showing the receipt for it... But our ring was not especially expensive (after paying for the visa we are pretty broke to be honest...) so is the CO going to say it's not genuine because I did not pour thousands in a ring that my fiancé would not even enjoy in the first place?

It is making us nervous as we feel that, generally, they seem to have strange expectations... We provided tons of pictures showing our relationship and the people in our life already. We would not want that to backfire.
I don't recall uploading my ring receipt. I didn't highlight it in pictures either, it didn't occur to me to be honest. One thing I was stressing about was not having evidence of an engagement shower, we were engaged dec 15 2017, applied Jan 5th 2018, engagement shower is in Fiancés home country in a few weeks. I figured I could upload the evidence of the engagement party after that but low and behold our visa was approved before we'd even had the party :p so not everything you read is entirely accurate. By all means, if you have the evidence, upload it. But a few ring pictures and a receipt isn't going to make your application look anymore genuine. The only evidence we uploaded aside from the necessary stuff was pictures of us together and with family, chat/skype logs, Facebook check ins, and gifts and if we had a ticket stub or a receipt that would prove the Facebook check ins were genuine I just complied those together. Just be honest and upload whatever evidence you have and don't stress over not having purchased a 15k engagement ring lol.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
. The only evidence we uploaded aside from the necessary stuff was pictures of us together and with family, chat/skype logs, Facebook check ins,.
That's another thing that makes me nervous. We did not upload logs. We only use Skype for videos and you can't even extract the call logs. We use Whatsapp but seriously, we don't feel like giving away something so intimate, it's full of stuff that are too private (including some arguments we had :rolleyes: )

You people think I'm at risk for not doing it?

·
Registered
131 Posts
That's another thing that makes me nervous. We did not upload logs. We only use Skype for videos and you can't even extract the call logs. We use Whatsapp but seriously, we don't feel like giving away something so intimate, it's full of stuff that are too private (including some arguments we had :rolleyes: )

You people think I'm at risk for not doing it?
You need to provide evidence that you remain in regular contact during the periods you are apart and I'd think that if you haven't included any evidence of that then yes, I think that's risky.

I used screenshots of call logs from Skype. It's a time consuming process but necessary. You do not need to include your full whatsapp log either, just excerpts that show you are in regular contact. I'd sort that ASAP if I were you.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just regarding the question in the ImmiAccount application I have in front of me. It has three options for relationship status 1) De Facto 2) Engaged 3) Married. We fit the Engaged match obviously because my partner lives in another country and we are applying for a Prospective Marriage Visa.

The question I have is what evidence of betrothed might be required?

For example a Notice of Intent to Marry signed by a registered marriage celebrant?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just regarding the question in the ImmiAccount application I have in front of me. It has three options for relationship status 1) De Facto 2) Engaged 3) Married. We fit the Engaged match obviously because my partner lives in another country and we are applying for a Prospective Marriage Visa.

For example a Notice of Intent to Marry signed by a registered marriage celebrant?
I uploaded the NOIM, a signed letter from the celebrant on letterhead and the receipt from the deposit.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I uploaded the NOIM, a signed letter from the celebrant on letterhead and the receipt from the deposit.
Okay thanks Ash. While you are hear do you know if Family Name is the name on Passport (married name and name known as now) or birth Family Name?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Thanks for the advice I will work out something

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.