Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I applied for my partner visa offshore to the Ottawa office in March 2014. I hadn't frequented this forum prior to my application so I went ahead with my medical and police checks which were submitted on April 7th and April 24th respectively.

I called the Ottawa office and was given the timeline that it may still be 12-15 months even though I applied in March, which puts me at the risk of both checks expiring.

My question is how should I go about doing them again? Should I wait until April 8th to go initiate another medical check? Should I wait until the CO asks me to do them again? Or should I book myself into an appointment before then (as last time it took me several weeks of wait time for a doctor) so that I have a new medical check as soon as the other one expires? Same question for the police check after April 24th I suppose.

I also realise that my visa MIGHT be granted any of this comes to pass, however I don't appear to be that lucky and I just wanted to get some information about what my future action should be.

Thank you very much!

·
Premium Member
8,885 Posts
It doesn't seem to be TOO unusual if you're judging by what we see on this forum - there have been multiple applicants who have reported that their CO didn't require new police checks. My PCCs, too, had expired. i specifically asked the CO if I needed to get new ones, and she said no. Mine were like 14-15 months old when my visa was granted and I travelled to Australia and activated my visa. From what I've read several places, COs seem to have a little bit of leeway with extending the validity of PCCs/medicals. I've read one place that it's 6 months, and another place that it's 3. Not sure which is correct.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses everybody, I guess I'll just sit tight and wait for further instruction from my CO. It's getting really hard to be patient as the original timeline quoted by Ottawa (5-12 months) grows closer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I thought I'll get medical and Police sorted before I lodged my application.
And because it took a while before I had all documents and info sorted before I sent the application to the DIBP, the medical and Police check was more than a year old when I got my visa granted.
I wasn't asked for updated documents..
Just sharing my experience...

// Curt

·
Registered
9 Posts
Similar experience to Kurt ^^
Did police checks (not medicals) they probably will expire by the time the CO gets it. Not too worried. Will wait to be told about when to do the medicals because they cost a lot more. Police checks are only $50.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Anyway, what ever happens, when you are asked for your medicals do them quickly. I have just had one of my associates in India have a visa refused because the medicals where not received by the required date. The request for the medical was emailed on 14/12/2014 with a 28 day time frame, and the visa refused on 18/2/2015 because they had not been received.

If for any reason you can meet the time frame set by your CO make sure you inform him or her and give them the reason for the delay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.