Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My fiance and I are in the process of completing the PMV. One of the questions on page 25 on the ImmiAccount website asks whether he has a "substantial criminal record and if he was sentenced to 12 months or more in prison".

On his police check it says that he had to pay a fine due to "very light bodily injuries". He wasn't sentenced to any amount in prison and his record isn't substantial. So we're unsure whether to tick yes or no.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hello Grasel, check the follow link What is a substantial criminal record?

What is a substantial criminal record?

You will have a substantial criminal record if you were:

sentenced to death or life imprisonment
sentenced to prison for more than 12 months
sentenced to two or more terms of imprisonment, where the total of those terms is 12 months or more (this includes all terms of imprisonment, including those that are to be served concurrently)
acquitted of an offence on the grounds of unsoundness of mind or insanity and, as a result, been detained in a facility or institution
found by a court not to be fit to plead in relation to offence but found to have committed the offence and as a result detained in a facility or institution.
Periods of imprisonment include time spent in periodic detention and court-ordered residential drug rehabilitation schemes.
Hope this clarifies it for you cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey can i ask if community service for a crime comes under residential drug rehabilitation schemes? A friend of mine is trying to get a whv and is worried about it being refused because of a criminal record.

thanks.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Community service is usually things you do in the community - I imagine things like cleaning up the parks, "volunteering" for other community things. Residential drug rehab is a different thing - addicts admitted to a hospital setting environment to get them off drugs. That's my understanding anyway, not to be taken as gospel :)

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Community service is usually things you do in the community - I imagine things like cleaning up the parks, "volunteering" for other community things. Residential drug rehab is a different thing - addicts admitted to a hospital setting environment to get them off drugs. That's my understanding anyway, not to be taken as gospel :)
Community service is unpaid work that an offender is ordered to do by a court.
People can also apply to do community service instead of a fine.
You may have to do community service if you're sentenced to one of these orders:

Community Service Order
State Penalties Enforcement Registry (SPER) Fine Option Order
Graffiti Removal Order
Intensive Correction Order

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hey can i ask if community service for a crime comes under residential drug rehabilitation schemes? A friend of mine is trying to get a whv and is worried about it being refused because of a criminal record.

thanks.
Depends how long the community service was for I think, and what the crime was and whether he was convicted or not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.