Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there :)
I am a Canadian applying for a partner visa and am currently located in Australia. I need to obtain police checks from both Australia and Canada.
I have seen online that it is not required to have police checks when handing in the application but that they will ask for this eventually?
It is quite expensive/long process to get a police check from Canada so wanted to confirm when/if it is required before starting process.

thank you!!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Typically a case officer will request police checks and medicals once they've started to go through your application. What some people do (myself included) is undertake both the medical exam and police checks before being asked.

This is a matter of preference, really. If you decide to do this before you're asked, you run the risk of both expiring and having to do them again and paying again. If you decide to wait, then you do it once you're requested to.

In regards to getting the Canadian police check while overseas, I found the following information.

From the RCMP website.

To submit fingerprints to the RCMP's Canadian Criminal Real Time Identification Services (CCRTIS) from outside of Canada, you must first contact the local police of jurisdiction where you are staying outside Canada and who can provide you with a copy of your fingerprints. Ensure you get the name and address of the police agency as well as the signature and name of the official taking the fingerprints. Also ensure all ten fingers are taken with black ink.
Next, you must contact an accredited company within Canada who can convert the paper fingerprint forms taken outside of Canada and submit them to CCRTIS electronically.
There are a number of accredited companies throughout Canada who will do this, however I would suggest you reach out to a few, explain your situation and try to get as much information as possible on this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow, great - thanks for that :)
I wonder how soon after the application is handed in do they start assessing it? I have a medical completed but might wait to do police checks. Do you know how much time they allow for the required info to be sent back in?
Also, both myself and my partner (sponsor) would have to complete police checks correct?

·
Registered
974 Posts
wow, great - thanks for that :)
I wonder how soon after the application is handed in do they start assessing it? I have a medical completed but might wait to do police checks. Do you know how much time they allow for the required info to be sent back in?
Also, both myself and my partner (sponsor) would have to complete police checks correct?
From what people here have posted (and what we have experienced), assessment of a case is different for everyone.

From what I understand (and have read) you are given 28 days to return the information requested by a case officer. Sometimes it takes longer than that, in which case I believe you would upload evidence that you have undertaken the medical or police check and inform the department you are waiting for it to come back. I could be wrong on that, so don't quote me.

I don't recall if it was mandatory that we both did, but we both did anyways. There was no harm in it.

When you say you have your medical done, did you submit your application, upload your documentation and then get a HAP ID to undertake your medical exam? Like the police check, these need to be done through an approved panel physician.

Reactions: nalabee

·
Registered
974 Posts
Yeah, one hurdle cleared. I don't know how long it will take to get a Canadian fingerprint check done overseas, but it would probably be worth looking into.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes, I did my medical with Bupa for visa reasons before and have a HAP ID, so at least that is done for now!
Sorry, but you might want to look into the validity of that.

Another poster here said that they were asked to do fresh health checks despite valid test results until Feb 2019. I think they had to do the test for a recent visitor visa.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was doing some research this morning, looks like quite a few weeks to get it done and sent back...and around $150-$200. So, need to find out if we both need to do it or not as that is quite expensive :|

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, but you might want to look into the validity of that.

Another poster here said that they were asked to do fresh health checks despite valid test results until Feb 2019. I think they had to do the test for a recent visitor visa.
oh really?
I did mine for visa extension purposes and it is to last until April/May so maybe I should hold off and see what they request once I apply.

·
Registered
974 Posts
oh really?
I did mine for visa extension purposes and it is to last until April/May so maybe I should hold off and see what they request once I apply.
Did you do the medical before you had a HAP ID?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Health exams requirements aren't all the same for every visa.
That too.

I did read that onshore medical exams were done through Bupa. I was more so curious if the OP went ahead with an exam prior to having a HAP ID.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Did you do the medical before you had a HAP ID?
No, I believe they gave me a HAP ID before my appointment
I didn't know you could get a HAP ID prior to lodging your application. Interesting.

I didn't receive one until I lodged and paid for my application.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Reactions: nalabee
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.