Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit confused about police clearances.

I'm an Oz citizen with my partner here on a visitor visa expiring on 30th January. Our Partner visa application will be submitted by our agent on or about 22nd January.

Our application is Decision Ready, needing only police clearances and my partner's medical examination.

I lived in the Philippines with her for 2 years so I realise that I need to obtain a police clearance for myself there and for Australia. My partner has one for the Philippines, which will expire in August.

My agent is requesting my police clearances, but it's my understanding that it's better to wait until they are requested as to obtain them now means there is a risk that they will expire before the grant of a visa and I will have wasted time and money obtaining them. I doubt at this stage I would receive them before our application is submitted anyway.

Thanks for any thoughts and advice.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Why use an agent if you are not going to listen to them ? The sponsor should always provide police certificates up front, so the sponsor can be approved and processing of the visa application can commence.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I agree with you, nick. Immigration took 6 months before they contact me for my partner's police check from the Philipinnes. I realized we should've provided it before they will contact because it will probably take time for them to look at it again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Why use an agent if you are not going to listen to them ? The sponsor should always provide police certificates up front, so the sponsor can be approved and processing of the visa application can commence.
Hi Nick
From reading this, as the sponsor I think I missed something in our 309/100 application (we live in the USA at the moment).
We applied in March 2018 but today submitted my husband's FBI check and State Police Check. Do I, as the sponsor, also have to supply an AFP National Police Check and also an FBI and USA State Police check?
I have looked at the Home Affairs website and can only find information for the applicant.
Thank you!
Kate :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
My recent experience is that the sponsor only needs an AFP check and the applicant needs both.
But the country of origin police check for the applicant is only done on request of the CO if you are not using an agent.
But it sounds like an agent submits the Police check at submission.
Yes they only have a 12 month validity

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi Nick
From reading this, as the sponsor I think I missed something in our 309/100 application (we live in the USA at the moment).
We applied in March 2018 but today submitted my husband's FBI check and State Police Check. Do I, as the sponsor, also have to supply an AFP National Police Check and also an FBI and USA State Police check?
I have looked at the Home Affairs website and can only find information for the applicant.
Thank you!
From the sponsor tab on the revamped DHA website:

"Information on relevant offences

Provide:

an Australian police certificate. We only accept complete disclosure National Police Certificates issued byt the Australian Federal Police. We don't accept standard disclosure certificates or national police certificates issued by Australian state or territory police

a police certificate from every country where you spent a total of 12 months or more in the last 10 years since you turned 16
Police certificates are valid for 12 months for immigration purposes.

You must also provide written consent for us to disclose any convictions for relevant offences to the visa applicant."

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/vis...isting/partner-offshore/provisional-309#HowTo

In case that helps.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Hi Nick
Thank you!
You have to toggle the applicant or sponsor option at the top right of the website.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/vis...isting/partner-offshore/provisional-309#HowTo

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
My recent experience is that the sponsor only needs an AFP check and the applicant needs both.
But the country of origin police check for the applicant is only done on request of the CO if you are not using an agent.
But it sounds like an agent submits the Police check at submission.
Yes they only have a 12 month validity
Sponsor needs them from any country lived in for at least 12 months in the last 10 years since turning 16. Probably for a lot of sponsors, that means only the AFP.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My recent experience is that the sponsor only needs an AFP check
This is only true if the sponsor has not lived outside Australia for the relevant durations (see other posts in this thread). My experience was that as a sponsor I also needed to provide police checks from the other countries I had lived in. Getting these certificates and providing them is often fairly straightforward - why take the risk of not providing them, it can only delay things?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Based on my experience as a sponsor I would Just get police clearances from au (where I live) and the applicants country regardless of time lived there and update them every 11 months.

We were asked for updated police clearances even though the ones we uploaded were still valid for 1 month at the time of rfi.

I was also asked for a French police check even though I had not lived there for 12 months total.

So as I see it If we had all the certificates and updated them at 11 months the grant would have been 1 month sooner.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Meh, it varies for everyone. Some people don't get requested to do another one when they've gone over the 12 months. Some people have gotten away with not doing some of the police checks at all even when they'd lived for over 12 months in another country. Others have been asked to supply police checks for countries lived in for less than 12 months (one case I know was they had only spent 7 months in Australia in total and were still asked for an AFP).

So yes, individually it may vary depending on which CO is looking at your case. Some are luckier than others.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi,
From all these answers, should I understand that I need to attach my sponsor's AFP straight away, even if they are valid only 12 months? (I started attaching evidence last week after lodging my Partner Visa Application)
I was going to wait for a few months to not do it twice (and pay it twice), but now don't know what's best... So immigration first approves the sponsor (and therefore the CO might look at the Sponsor application way before the applicant applicant application) and then starts looking at the applicant's application?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,
From all these answers, should I understand that I need to attach my sponsor's AFP straight away, even if they are valid only 12 months? (I started attaching evidence last week after lodging my Partner Visa Application)
I was going to wait for a few months to not do it twice (and pay it twice), but now don't know what's best... So immigration first approves the sponsor (and therefore the CO might look at the Sponsor application way before the applicant applicant application) and then starts looking at the applicant's application?
Hi JulieB
We applied from the US in March 2018, so we are ten months into the process. My husband, the applicant, just did his FBI and US state check and we uploaded them this week. I just applied for my AFP clearance and will upload that when I get it. As I'm living in the US, I'll also get an FBI check and upload that next week. My husband will do his medical soon and we'll then upload that.
We have not been asked for any of these by a CO but hope we won't have to do them again as the processing times are generally between 12 - 17 months.
Each to their own, but you don't have to upload the AFP check straight away.
Good luck - it's a bit of a stressful process :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sponsor Police Checks do expire.

As requested by Immigration, we provided AFP checks for both my partner and I (sponsor) with our application. Partner also had to provide an Egyptian check as well. Because the application didn't start processing until 23 months after lodgement, all the checks expired and and we had to provide new ones.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.