Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there everyone!

I'm applying for an online 309 very soon and gathering the documents. My husband (the applicant) has a criminal record. I am having the documents translated but feel the need to share the details and get some approval that I'm doing it the right way.

It is a drug charge for purchasing and using weed (yeah I know lame) dating back to 2006, however when it was heard in court (as a part of civil law suit that included 9 others) he was given 1 year for the one purchase and use but then it was reduced by 1/6 to 10 months because he had pleaded guilty and displayed good behaviour. Then this 10 months was turned into a caution of drug treatment and probation (drug tests for the next year) and would be turned back into the 10 month conviction if he repeated the offence or did not pass the tests.
He did not do any jail time and he successfully completed the 1-year treatment without violating the rules of his treatment and probation.
Since that time, he has graduated from university, got his driver's licence, been able to work as a dispatcher at the airport and most importantly stayed away from weed.

With regard to this, I thought it would be good to provide the documents below:
* Police certificate with all abbrevations translated. - However, it writes "10 months prison; drug treatment and probation". It is not easily understood that it is not both but just the second.
* Court decision. - It is 9 pages long and lists all the statements, evidence, sentences for the 10 people involved (some of them dealers), also giving detail of the 1 year turning into 10 months turning into a caution and listing that the drug was cannabis.
* Certificate of completion. - The document given to him upon completion of his treatment and drug tests.
* A personal statement explaining why he did it and how he has changed.

In light of this information, this would classify as a conviction he was sentenced for 12 months or more? The police clearance says 10 months because it was reduced so that is what we should consider, right? He didn't even serve any jail time, actually.

Please let me know what you think! Any extra documents that you think we should add? :confused:

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
My understanding is it is the current (last penalty of the court) in this case 10 months probation.

But I could contact a RMA for advice on the character issue that needs detailed explanation - leaving the Case Officer no doubt that a conviction of 12 months or more was not imposed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.