Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am a 33 year old woman, never married and no dependents. I have two professions in which I'm qualified and practicing.

I am a qualified Lawyer and enrolled as an Advocate of the High Courts in Pakistan. I have a five year joint BA-LLB degree from my country's best law school, and an MSc Human Rights from the London School of Economics. I have 5 years relevant PQE. So one option is to apply as a barrister. However, that process seems very long due to the bar transfer requirements.

I am also a licensed psychotherapist/counsellor and have completed my diploma with CPCAB(UK) to level IV, I am currently enrolled in a level V diploma (independent practice) which ends in June. I have completed 100 training hours, as well as 400 client hours of one to one therapy and 100 hours of group therapy.

I took the IELTS exam and got an 8.0 overall. My score is 8.5 in listening, 9.0 in reading, 8.5 in speaking and 6.0 in writing. Not quite sure why the writing score was so low. I have evidence of a high writing ability in the form of research papers, Supreme Court petitions etc. My score in my GCE English language was 96%. I have distinctions in my academic papers from my most recent diplomas with CPCAB, the papers were marked in the UK. However, if I must I can bite the proverbial bullet and subject myself to another exam.

I am wondering what might be the easiest route for me.

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
To satisfy the criteria for the mandatory pre-migration skills assessment as a psychotherapist you would need a highly relevant qualification, assessed as comparable to an Australian degree, From what you posted psychotherapist is not an option.

May I suggest that you consult one of the registered migration agents who posts a on this forum (they are all OK) for advice about your possible options?.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You may have a pathway to getting a positive skills assessmen as a Solicitor (it might involve doing Practice Legal Training in Australia - and depend on the state/territory) - but a MARA agent will likely be able to most easily present that information to you. Otherwise as a lawyer you can consult the Migration Regulations and each state / territory website to ascertain what you need to do as well.

With a Msc in Human Rights - and if the 190 visa subclass is an option for you - do consider the Social Professional NEC (ANZSCO 272499) - especially if you haven't been working solely as a lawyer. Again, a MARA agent will likely have the most accurate advice in the most timely fashion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the ideas. I am not sure how to choose an agent. I almost engaged a local agent but then realised he did not have any experience in these areas. He had no knowledge of bar assessment requirements etc. So now I'm trying to find someone else who has direct experience of these routes and plenty of experience to be able to provide guidance beyond what the government's website already gives.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for the ideas. I am not sure how to choose an agent. I almost engaged a local agent but then realised he did not have any experience in these areas. He had no knowledge of bar assessment requirements etc. So now I'm trying to find someone else who has direct experience of these routes and plenty of experience to be able to provide guidance beyond what the government's website already gives.
Most probably you need to consult a registered migration agent based in Australia consulting Pakistan based agents ain't gonna help you much.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
If you want me to asses your case, please go to my website: pinoyau.com and use the contact form.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.