Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m currently here in Australia doing my first year of 417 Working Holdiay Visa, I plan to apply for my 2nd year in April and by early 2020 I plan to have submitted my applictation for my Partner Visa (820).

I noticed this question in my previous 417 application, that will come up again when I apply for my 2nd year visa.

‘In the last 5 years, have you visited, or lived outside Britain for more than consecutive months (other than Australia)?’

When you select YES to this question, you are then asked to:
‘Give details of the visits to another country where the stay was for more than 3 consecutive months in the last 5 years’

I answered NO because I’ve never stayed in one country for 3 consecutive months, which is what they are asking you to do, but I have been outside of the UK for long periods of time (up to 11 months) because I used to work on cruise ships and we’d be in a different country every day. At one point 55 countries in just 9 months.

My visa was granted and I’m living in Australia but I’m worried that if I did answer that incorrectly it may affect the Partner Visa as I have to list every country I’ve visited, no matter the duration, with dates for the past 10 years. I also have to answer that question again soon when I apply for my 2nd year and I spent 4 months in Asia before arriving in Oz, but again never in one country.

Anyone know if I have answered this incorrectly and if so will it affect my Partner Visa? And if I submit a 1023 form will this just make matters worse?

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
You should be ok. The 3 months question relates to concerns about applicants having contracted a weird disease somewhere for which medical clearances might be required. If you are unsure about travel dates, indicate that they are 'to the best of recollection' and describe your seafaring history.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
tI think the question is pretty straightforward: you have either spent 3 consecutive months in another country in the last 5 years or you haven't.

I think it is mainly relevant to people potentially having being exposed to TB and the like and requiring visa medicals, which could have a major impact on the decision.

If you are concerned about it, you can always add an explanatory statement with the sc. 820 application.

And here is a question from me. I'm not having a go at you, just curious. Why do so many people nowadays start a sentence with the word "SO"?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tI think the question is pretty straightforward: you have either spent 3 consecutive months in another country in the last 5 years or you haven't.

And here is a question from me. I'm not having a go at you, just curious. Why do so many people nowadays start a sentence with the word "SO"?
Both are straightforward questions, however when you combine the two questions as the second is still a part of the first, they contradict themselves. Think it's just very poorly worded!

And as for the 'SO' thing....I don't actually know hahaha!

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Both are straightforward questions, however when you combine the two questions as the second is still a part of the first, they contradict themselves. Think it's just very poorly worded!

And as for the 'SO' thing....I don't actually know hahaha!
They are experts in wording things poorly and it is easy to read too much into it.

I am bit fascinated by this "SO" thing. It appears in lots of posts here suddenly.

Some people seem to start every sentence with "so" and I feel like saying "so what"? Just a bit intrigued where it has come from all of a sudden.

So, if someone knows the answer, please tell me!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
They are experts in wording things poorly and it is easy to read too much into it.

I am bit fascinated by this "SO" thing. It appears in lots of posts here suddenly.

Some people seem to start every sentence with "so" and I feel like saying "so what"? Just a bit intrigued where it has come from all of a sudden.

So many possibilities, so few answers.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts

This page links you to a 34 page academic article on the use of the "sentence initial so":

https://www.dictionary.com/e/sentence-initial-so/

enjoy!

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
So what!

THEY are incapable of correctly using only in a sentence and not only that, they habitually use 'generally' when they mean 'usually'. Another word has had its meaning changed.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
So what!

THEY are incapable of correctly using only in a sentence and not only that, they habitually use 'generally' when they mean 'usually'. Another word has had its meaning changed.
So generally speaking they should only use "usually"?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.