Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I hope someone can put my mind at rest. When I first came to Australia in 2013, I declared a criminal conviction for drink driving in 1988. Sentence was a fine and 18 month ban, reduced after attending a DD course to 15 months.

Visa came back endorsed 'No Criminal Convictions. I now realise this was not an endorsement but a visa condition of being in Australia.

For subsequent visas I ticked no for criminal record as thought the first visa endorsement of no criminal convictions meant as far as the department was concerned there wasn't one. I now realise this was a massive error.

I am about to lodge for PR and have ticked yes again to conviction, redeclaring the offence, along with an explanation explaining there was never any intent to deceive the department.

Whilst the offence itself doesn't breach the character requirements, I'm terrified of the implications of not redeclaring on subsequent visa applications.

Please can someone hopefully put my mind at rest.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
If you provided information that was false or misleading in a material particular that might have been (not was) taken into account, you could have a serious problem.

May I suggest that you rake professional advice and do something about the matter as soon as possible?

·
Registered
2 Posts
similar situation

i have applied for a 820 visa (i am the applicant) and after applying have sent off for both myself and my aussie partners police check. mine are all fine, but his does list a charge for possession of drugs (when he was 18) and was given a good behaviour bond of 2 years and the police check states "no conviction"

so when we first applied, as he didn't think he had been convicted we selected no to the question about having any convictions. my question is although he wasn't actually convicted, and got in no further trouble after this, how should i proceed when we upload the police checks, just also include a stat dec outlining he didn't disclose it as a conviction as that is essentially what it says on the police report but that he thought he should still provide context?

or does this still count as an offence which should have been disclosed and should i amend the answers provided to avoid having my visa rejected on the basis of the sponsor supplying false or misleading information?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.