Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have quick question about Australia PR Visa Expiry. My Visa will expire in 1 year time and i am planning to move to Australia. Since PR Visa holder can stay indefinitely, to move fly outside and come back i need to hold Valid RRV Visa.

1. If i travel to Australia before 10 month of expiry of Initial 5 year sticker. Will i be able to still get the RRV for 5 year if i stay there for 2 years? Or it shall include 2 years of the last 5 years Initial Visa i had?

2. The RRV requirement says Shall have stay of 2 years... That doesn't include time of initial 5 year visa?... One can go last month of expiry and stay there for 2 years to get 5/1 year RRV Visa?

3. Also can i apply my wife visa ( Partner Visa) from overseas, as i have only 1 year left for initial PR visa and haven't travelled yet? I married 2.5 years ago.. Doesn't this makes case any weaker, since i never went there in last 4 year, can this effect Partner visa?

·
Registered
334 Posts
1. If i travel to Australia before 10 month of expiry of Initial 5 year sticker. Will i be able to still get the RRV for 5 year if i stay there for 2 years? Or it shall include 2 years of the last 5 years Initial Visa i had?
Yes, 2 years anytime as resident, doesn't have to be in the initial 5 years.

2. The RRV requirement says Shall have stay of 2 years... That doesn't include time of initial 5 year visa?... One can go last month of expiry and stay there for 2 years to get 5/1 year RRV Visa?
Yes, stay for 2 years for 5 years RRV. Stay less that 2 years will get you 1 year RRV.

3. Also can i apply my wife visa ( Partner Visa) from overseas, as i have only 1 year left for initial PR visa and haven't travelled yet? I married 2.5 years ago.. Doesn't this makes case any weaker, since i never went there in last 4 year, can this effect Partner visa?
No, you should not apply before coming yourself. Unfortunately immi requires the PR sponsor to be usually resident in Australia before sponsoring the spouse. Definition of usually resident varies from a few months to up to 2 years residence.
I hope this answers your queries.

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
As I understand it, as long as you've lived in Australia for 2 of the last 5 years when applying (so that doesn't need to be 2 of the original 5 of the visa grant), you would be eligible for a 5-year RRV. If you've lived in Australia for a shorter period, you may only be granted a 1-year RRV.

There's been some discussion about whether you need to have been usually resident in Australia to sponsor a partner, but I believe the consensus is that for married couples it's not as much an issue. You may want to speak with a migration agent though to see what they suggest about this aspect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.