Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm seeking some guidance on a bit of a unique situation. I lived in Australia for almost 8 years, obtaining Permanent Residency along the way. I was in the process of applying for citizenship and was approved pending ceremony when I found out I was being transferred for a wonderful job opportunity to the US for a year. After being here in the US for ~4 months, I'm realizing the opportunity could be even longer. I have received multiple notices to attend my ceremony, which I have been told to disregard by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection. I have been instructed to I will continue to be added to the next available ceremony and I should attend the first one I can before my approval expires in 1 year. I'd like to attend the ceremony in January on Australia Day, however I cannot be guaranteed I will be included in that ceremony until around November when they send out invitation.

I'm also considering letting my application for citizenship expire (after the 1 year to attend a ceremony is up) and continuing as a permanent resident, which will eventually come up for renewal. I can renew for another 5 years, but will eventually not be allowed to renew if I reside in the US for the majority of that time.

My question is as follows:

1) If I think I might be here a while, and want to eventually return to Australia after my Permanent Residency has expired, will they allow me to re-enter as a permanent resident if I haven't met the 2 years in 5 years requirement?
2) If further down the line I want to re-apply for citizenship, will they hold it against me if I end up allowing my conditional approval to expire?

I'm keen for anyone's thoughts who is knowledgeable on this situation. Thanks in advance for all your help!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.