Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a Permanent Resident of Australia since 19 month (May2017), and have spent more than 12 months (17month) outside of Australia since then.
[July 2017-Nov 2018]

I am now back in Australia and would like to apply for Citizenship at the end of 2019, after a period of 12month with no more then 3month overseas.

My Question would be if I am eligible to Apply for Citizenship, even though I spent more than 12 months in the last 4 years outside Australia?

Side Notes:
I would have lived lawfully in Australia for at least 4 years (here since 2006); and at time of application end of 2019;
I would have lived in Australia for at least 12 months as a permanent resident.

Point of Concern as seen on Official Sites:
Note that if you have spent more than 12 months in the last 4 years outside Australia, you will no longer meet the residence requirements for citizenship.

Reason that I was Overseas;
for more than 12month in the past 4years. My mother was terminally ill with Stage 3 Cancer and I wanted to be present for her process of recovery.

With very best regards
Yours Tobie

· Premium Member
10,516 Posts
My Question would be if I am eligible to Apply for Citizenship, even though I spent more than 12 months in the last 4 years outside Australia?
No. You cannot apply until you meet the residency requirements: 4 years (1 year PR) and no more than 12 months outside of Australia (90 days in the last year). So until you meet those requirements (or whatever they are if the government changes them) you cannot apply for citizenship.

· Registered
408 Posts
You will be roughly able to apply in Nov 2021 under the current rules.

I was in the same situation, I have been in Australia for nearly 20 years, but due to work overseas had be out of the country for more than 12 months in the previous 3 years, I had to wait.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.