Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

So my spouse has PR but her travel facility is expiring in 3 weeks.

We applied for a RRV and our current status is as follows:

Type: Resident Return Visa (155,157)
Resident Return: Received
Estimated Processing Time: 5 days to 8 days
Last updated: 27 May 2018
Date submitted: 27 May 2018

Obviously it's well passed the estimated processing times, but we believe it is because we haven't lived in Australia for more than 2 years in the previous 5 years (we are currently in australia). On the website they say it can take up to 12 weeks in this scenario.

Our trip is in 2.5 weeks and we are wondering what options we have. We aren't hopeful to hear back on the application before we leave and we come back exactly 12 weeks from when we lodged the application.

We were told we can't get a bridging visa BVA/BVB. Can we get an ETA as a back-up or is that a bad idea?

Many thanks for all your help, my spouse is very stressed as it has been a horrible experience trying to find out this information.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
As you say, if you don't meet the residence requirement, processing times are past the 12 week mark.

You can get a BVA and then a BVB, but you do need to apply, as an onshore RRV application does not automatically generate the BVA. Once you have been granted a BVA, you can apply for a BVB to ensure you are able to return.

Be aware though, that if you are offshore and not holding a permanent visa, you have created a break in your permanent residency that may have an impact on timing for citizenship eligibility.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As you say, if you don't meet the residence requirement, processing times are past the 12 week mark.

You can get a BVA and then a BVB, but you do need to apply, as an onshore RRV application does not automatically generate the BVA. Once you have been granted a BVA, you can apply for a BVB to ensure you are able to return.

Be aware though, that if you are offshore and not holding a permanent visa, you have created a break in your permanent residency that may have an impact on timing for citizenship eligibility.
thanks very much Paul. Unfortunately the person at the Home Affairs said I couldn't get a BVA/BVB because my PR is still valid, and will remain valid, it is just the travel facility that is expiring

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
The Home Affairs helpline is not necessarily the best source of information. You need, and can apply for, the bridging visa because your current visa will cease if you leave Australia when its travel facility has expired. The BVB kicks in at this point and allows you to return to Australia.

I would suggest you speak with a local RMA who can help you get this sorted out.

If you're intending to travel in 2.5 weeks you will need to do this soon in order for the BVB to get processed in time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
My travel facility ended last year and knowing processing time is around 3 days I postponed my application till mid May. Then I realised that I wasn't meeting the two year requirement. Now we are stranded in my hometown waiting for visa. I strongly recommend to check your application and delay your travel or return for a while to avoid further stress. Is there any suggestions for me by the way?

Hi All,

Obviously it's well passed the estimated processing times, but we believe it is because we haven't lived in Australia for more than 2 years in the previous 5 years (we are currently in australia). On the website they say it can take up to 12 weeks in this scenario.

Our trip is in 2.5 weeks and we are wondering what options we have. We aren't hopeful to hear back on the application before we leave and we come back exactly 12 weeks from when we lodged the application.

We were told we can't get a bridging visa BVA/BVB. Can we get an ETA as a back-up or is that a bad idea?

Many thanks for all your help, my spouse is very stressed as it has been a horrible experience trying to find out this information.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
I am also waiting for RRV for the last 12 weeks or so. I am curious to know if your spouse received the RRV, if so if it is through assistance from a RMA.

Thanks
Venkata
Hi All,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.