Australia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I know that PR visas come with a 5-year travel facility, which cannot be renewed if certain residency requirements are not met. If I don't plan to return to Australia after my travel facility expires (and so won't need a resident return visa), am I still allowed to work for an Australian business from outside Australia or is my PR also put on hold?

Thank you!

Ricky

· Premium Member
1,668 Posts
or is my PR also put on hold?
If you are outside Australia and your visa has expired then your PR status has ceased (not been put "on hold") - you can only reinstate it if you qualify for an RRV.

am I still allowed to work for an Australian business from outside Australia
You don't need an Australian visa to work for an Australian company outside Australia.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If you are outside Australia and your visa has expired then your PR status has ceased (not been put "on hold") - you can only reinstate it if you qualify for an RRV.

You don't need an Australian visa to work for an Australian company outside Australia.
Thank you for your quick reply and clarification!

Do you have a source I can have a look at for your second observation? My employer told me that I need work rights to be employed and paid by a company in Australia, regardless of where I am located.

· Premium Member
1,668 Posts
My employer told me that I need work rights to be employed and paid by a company in Australia, regardless of where I am located.
That's somewhat different - my point was that you can be employed by, for example, the Singapore branch of ANZ, which is an Australian company, and you will need to satisfy Singaporean work rules not Australian ones.

I suggest you get some professional advice based on your specific terms of employment and your specific visa status to understand how things are structured. You won't get a reliable answer on a public forum. You could also get some advice on RRVs.

· Registered
7,391 Posts
My employer told me that I need work rights to be employed and paid by a company in Australia, regardless of where I am located.
Your employer could treat you as self employed. You then give them an invoice for work done each week/month, and they pay you in full with no tax deductions. Your income is then taxed in the country you are resident in.
No visa needed that way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts