Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Our migrant skilled independent visa (189) has just been granted and I have just discovered that I am pregnant.

We have to be in Australia by a specific date - a date after my pregnancy due date - so we have a choice to either have the baby in South Africa or have it in Australia.

I have the following 2 questions:
1) If I have the baby in Australia are there additional visa / immigration / other fees to pay to have the baby?
2) If I have the baby in Australia, would I be eligible for medicare and would it cover the full costs of the pregnancy? Would there be any restrictions?

Thanks in advance
Tracy

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
The 189 is a PR visa. There will be one big benefit to having the baby in Australia: The baby will be automatically eligible for citizenship. Yes, you will be eligible for Medicare. If you have the baby via the public system (and not privately) there will be very few out-of-pocket costs.

If you have the baby outside of Australia, the baby will need its own visa.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 189 is a PR visa. There will be one big benefit to having the baby in Australia: The baby will be automatically eligible for citizenship. Yes, you will be eligible for Medicare. If you have the baby via the public system (and not privately) there will be very few out-of-pocket costs.

If you have the baby outside of Australia, the baby will need its own visa.
Thanks very much for your reply. So it sounds like having a baby in Australia might be a better option. I will do some more research into that option.

Thanks
Tracy

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
In comparison, if you have the baby in South Africa, you will then need to apply for a child visa which can take (I believe) 9-12 months to process. So you'd either need to apply offshore and then travel to Australia on a tourist visa and then go off-shore with the baby to have the visa granted, or you apply for a tourist visa first (and hope DIBP don't have an issue) then travel to Australia and apply for a child visa onshore.

All in all, I agree that having the baby in Australia is the better option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In comparison, if you have the baby in South Africa, you will then need to apply for a child visa which can take (I believe) 9-12 months to process. So you'd either need to apply offshore and then travel to Australia on a tourist visa and then go off-shore with the baby to have the visa granted, or you apply for a tourist visa first (and hope DIBP don't have an issue) then travel to Australia and apply for a child visa onshore.

All in all, I agree that having the baby in Australia is the better option.
Thanks for your feedback, so from numerous sources it sounds much better to have it in Australia. So now it's quite a mad rush to get there!

Tracy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.