Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if anyone can help me.
My husband (we married in April) has previously sponsored his ex-girlfriend. It was a genuine 7 year long relationship. The original application was submitted in September 2006. The ex girlfriend received permanent residency in September 2008. I met my husband not long after this and have been together 2.5 years, and married for 2 months.
I realise that there is a rule that you can't sponsor someone else within 5 years, however, is it 5 years from the initial application? If so, then we could apply in September 2011 (I am currently on a 457 visa).
Does it make much difference that we are married - would they 'turn a blind eye'?
Thanks!!!!!

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Hi,

Your husband may still be able to sponsor you:

If you have previously sponsored or been sponsored, you may still be permitted to sponsor your partner in compelling circumstances, such as:

•if your previous partner has died or abandoned the relationship leaving young children
if your relationship with your current partner is long standing (that is, two years or more)
•if you and your current partner have dependent children of your relationship.

So, if you have been living together for at least 2 years and can prove it, it seems you're in with a chance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately we have only been living together for a year and a half. Maybe we should wait a few months?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.