Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My name's Dr. Kurt. It's great to be here. I am looking forward to learning from your experiences.

I'm an Internal medicine doctor actively in solo practice in the US. I've been an active volunteer locally and had a chance to volunteer this summer in Haiti.

My significant other was working as an accountant. She decided to follow her dream and has almost finished her pre-requisites for pharmacy school as well as passing the pharmacy tech course this summer.

I've been discouraged with the state of our health system. I really hoped we'd pass a public option and bring back patient's interests first but feel we've failed. I became attracted to the way Australia administers health care while researching different systems that provide global coverage. Compare that to asthmatics who forgo a steroid inhaler because of the cost.

I need to learn more about the geography and needs but there seem to be several medical locums companies for physicians.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Hi all,

My name's Dr. Kurt. It's great to be here. I am looking forward to learning from your experiences.

I'm an Internal medicine doctor actively in solo practice in the US. I've been an active volunteer locally and had a chance to volunteer this summer in Haiti.

My significant other was working as an accountant. She decided to follow her dream and has almost finished her pre-requisites for pharmacy school as well as passing the pharmacy tech course this summer.

I've been discouraged with the state of our health system. I really hoped we'd pass a public option and bring back patient's interests first but feel we've failed. I became attracted to the way Australia administers health care while researching different systems that provide global coverage. Compare that to asthmatics who forgo a steroid inhaler because of the cost.

I need to learn more about the geography and needs but there seem to be several medical locums companies for physicians.
In some respects Doc., our medical/hospital services still leave a lot to be desired though there's plenty of opportunities in Australia given shortages that always seem to exist and especially away from the capital cities and major regional centres.
Our geography is fairly simple with the bulk of our population in th east of Australia, including Tasmania, southern part of South Australia, Victoria, NSW and Queensland in the north, climate running from temperate in the south right through to tropical in north and most people residing within 100 km. of the coast.
Yes, there are quite a few locum agencies, some that run Australia wide services and others more regionally focused and then you'll find many clinics about that are often seeking doctors if you want to settle down somewhere.
There are some changes being made to medical services here in Australia and with an election to be held next Saturday, medical issues have been a hot political potato for there have been numerous problems over the years, essentially being caused by growing populations, rationalisation of services which can often mean reduced services and a greater reliance on private services as against public.
That said, I suppose we do have reasonable services for most though there are numerous cracks appearing.
Doctors and Nurses - Workers - Visas & Immigration will give you some idea of the qualifications approval and registration processes involved with immigration.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.