Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I don’t know if i should’ve to ask this question but we need advise please from some expert. I hope we will be given some good advise. I’m on a fiance visa lodged online (Philippines) which is still on progress and will be 10 mos this November 24.The problem we have is this coming school year January 2018. We’re a bit concerned that the visa application has still not been completed. Schools in Queensland close on 8 December. That is 3 weeks away. We have 2 children that need to be enrolled, uniforms purchased, along with books and other items. There is also the need to work out whether our oldest child can be admitted into the final year of primary school or whether she will need to attend high school. None of this can be organise for us being not there. While it is possible to enroll the children when schools reopen in January, this is not ideal. The children will be delayed in starting, making this difficult transition needlessly more complicated and stressful than it needs to be. It will also mean the children will lose the opportunity to spend some weeks adapting before starting at school. I did some research and found this on immi site.

"Family visa processing times"

The table below details the processing priority groups and order of processing for people wanting to migrate on a Family Stream visa as a spouse, de facto partner, fiancé, child or parent.

Processing priority groups and order of processing

Priority processing arrangements apply to family migration applications. They determine the order in which we consider applications. Those applications given a higher priority under the arrangements will be processed ahead of those given a lower priority regardless of when the application is lodged.
The following table details processing priorities for family migration applications.

Note: The highest priority is listed first. Assessment of Priority Group 4 will commence when all applications in Priority Groups 1-3 have been finalised.

Priority Group Number

Application Type

Applications for children and partners except where the sponsor or proposed sponsor entered Australia as an Illegal Maritime Arrival (IMA) and is the holder of a permanent visa.

Contributory Parent except where the sponsor or proposed sponsor entered Australia as an IMA and is the holder of a permanent visa.

Parents and Other Family except where the sponsor or proposed sponsor entered Australia as an IMA and is the holder of a permanent visa.

Applications where the sponsor or proposed sponsor entered Australia as an IMA; and holds a permanent visa such as a Protection visa (subclass 866), a Five Year Resident Return visa (subclass 155) or a three month Resident Return visa (subclass 157).

Processing times for visas affected by priority processing

Individual processing times can vary due to individual circumstances including:

whether you have lodged a complete application, including all necessary supporting document show promptly you respond to any requests for additional information how long it takes to perform required checks on the supporting information provided how long it takes to receive additional information from external agencies, particularly in relation to health, character, and national security requirements for permanent migration visa applications, how many places are available in the migration programme

To view current processing times, see the visa page for the specific visa subclass you are applying for. On the visa page, two processing times will be displayed, indicating how long it takes to finalise 75 and 90 per cent of all applications submitted globally. Processing times apply from the date your application is lodged.

Processing times are not available for visas which are capped and queued.

Further notes on certain subclasses affected by priority processing:

Parent visas:
Contributory Parent visas:

Now the question we have in mind,our current situation stated above, do you think its a valid reason to request priority process?

I really appreciate your help guys. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Now the question we have in mind,our current situation stated above, do you think its a valid reason to request priority process?
There is no harm in trying, but I suspect that the answer you will get is that thousands of other people are in similar situations and that it is not a ground for priority treatment.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you please clarify your children's status, you say "our" children, are they really the children of you and your Australian partner or are they from a previous relationship?
From previous relationship. My fiance treat them as his own. My kids call him papa ( daddy ). Thats why i wrote "Our children". :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no harm in trying, but I suspect that the answer you will get is that thousands of other people are in similar situations and that it is not a ground for priority treatment.
Thanks for your response. You're right no harm in trying but we're not the only applicants on queue.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Children adapt. Ours just started a new school partially through term 4 and he's already adjusted. Prior to that, he started halfway through the school year the year we moved to Australia.

Schools will allow them to register anytime during the year so it shouldn't matter in that sense.

His first school took 5-10 min to enrol, and they didn't have any uniforms on hand so he just wore a polo shirt until they got his uniform in.

Second school enrolment took 5-10 minutes to fill out the paperwork and show required docs. School didn't sell their uniforms but a shop up the road did so got those and his supplies within an hour. The whole process can easily be done the first day you get to Australia if the school is open. They even offered for my son to start the same day but we had just moved to town the night before so I let him have the day off.

What I'm trying to say is, you don't have to stress about trying to enrol them before this term ends. It seems the only real issue you have is you want them to start on day one of the school year, and with that being still over 2 months away, it is a possibility that could happen. If not, starting a bit later in the term really shouldn't affect them at all.

·
Super Moderator
2,134 Posts
Ok thanks for clarifying that , as some people are not aware as children born to an Australian Citizen can claim Australian Citizenship by descent no matter where they are born.
As far as asking for priority, why not give it a try, you might get somewhere and if not you will be no worse off.
Don't worry about school, we have had a number of Filipino friends with school aged children arrive mid term.
They had no problem fitting in.
Good luck!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@aussiesteve

You're welcome and thank you for quick response. I feel better now. Knowing that kids will be fine.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
In QLD after around 2 weeks after school year starts, they do a head count. This determines the schools funding and staff levels for the year.

One school rushed my sons application to meet this date (or a form can be filled) the other school for my daughter took longer and this date passed, after this date they charged a higher fee (they are both public schools).

Previously my ex had 2 kids in Australia on Visitor Visas for several months waiting for a PMV. They did not go to school as we wanted to save the 3 months study for the new year start - I got them a private tutor 2 or 3 times a week as one had very low English levels.

They entered school at the year start with one still having low English within a few months both were doing very well. It did take a good effort from the private school and teachers and tutor but they in a very short time became high grading students.

So don't worry about the kids, the life experience is the better learning part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.