Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm sorry if there is already a thread on this but the search tool is not working. ....
I'm wondering if the rough processing times listed on the DIBP website are counted from the day of lodgement or from the day you are assigned a case officer.
Also, I was using an agent who told me to lodge and pay for visa 600 subclass family sponsored stream at the same time as I lodged our partner visa application I then noticed that for the visitor visa one is supposed to have attachments ready at the time of lodgement which is different from the partner visa. I panicked a bit but agent assured me it didn't matter then proceeded to take over two weeks to attach supporting documents which was quite stressful. So is that ok or slack? Should I be worried as the website keeps telling me application can be assessed on how it was at the time of lodgement.
Anyway. I would really like to know when to stay counting those six weeks. I know there's nothing exact about it but as there is still no case officer assigned apparently, it could make the difference of three weeks or so.
Thank you for this forum.
M

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
Processing times are from date of lodgement.

Some people get a decision without having even known they had a case officer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for that information. Do you think the agent jeopardised the application in any way by delaying the attachment of supporting documents to the family sponsored tourist visa application?

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Do you think the agent jeopardised the application in any way by delaying the attachment of supporting documents to the family sponsored tourist visa application?
I would guess that delays would happen as they can't assess a visa without documents.

Its OK for the partner visa, as they rarely even look at them for some months.
But for a Visitor Visa that can be assessed in a few days, I imagine that having no documents, (relevant for that visa), would be a problem.

Your agent may have submitted the required Visitor Visa documents immediately, but not the the rest?

We got our visitor visa before a case officer was assigned/contacted us (about the partner PMV visa), and before all PMV documents were sent in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Documents were submitted immediately. After a few days of me asking about it after I saw the info that documents were supposed to be already attached at time of submission i started to attach documents as I was nervous. She was not happy about this and asked me to stop p which I did. It took a further two weeks for her to attach the documents.
That's why I was worried as at time of lodgement there were no documents attached at all.
She's now asking me if she should attach a letter asking for less time rather than be refused outright as we've asked for eight months and she just had a similar visa refused. I'm getting confused as basis for refusal did not seem to be on an excessive time requested. I wish I had continued to do application on my own but I wanted to be really sure we got our visa and I don't have a lot of time. I'm sick and need to get home, been here 8 months now and still have a long time to wait for partner visa decision.
Thanks for your response JandE

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
Usually family sponsored tourist visa's are only given for up to 3 months.

I was always under the impression you had to live in Australia to sponsor someone, though I may be wrong....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes you do. And I guess technically I do as I'm still paying my car registration, house insurance and rates, getting welfare etc but I'm staying in Africa with my husband as we want to be together. Do you think this precludes the visitor visa?

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
I am not sure maybe post in Ask Mark and ask him. I was always under the impression you had to be in Australia but as I said I could be wrong.

Out of curiosity ... I thought welfare got cut when you had been out of the country for 6 weeks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi,
I've been told from two different sources it's from when it's registered as lodged.
I'm waiting on a different visa type but have been assured it's from the lodgement date.
Also to note, according to some the visa backlog is high and therefore the visas are taking longer than predicted time frames. e.g mine was lodged in early August and shpuld be six months, it is now six months but ive been told probably another sixty days.
Good luck!
Patience is the hardest part!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all. I don't know what ask mark is but will try to find it.
In answer to question re welfare us usually six weeks, I think now they have cut it to four. I'm deemed disabled enough to have what they call portability so I'm eligible to keep getting paid. But it's excruciatingly painful and difficult and I need to see a doctor ASAP. I also need a six month treatment for another condition I have which I put off to come here so I'm feeling a bit urgent about it all. Otherwise I'd be ok biding my time here, it's like a second home.
Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
It is a sticky up the top.

I hope your husband gets the tourist visa. My gutt is telling me 8 months is too long but you never know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have looked and looked and I don't really understand what a sticky is our how to find it or use it. I'm using a small phone for all this too which makes it difficult as I can only see a tiny section of the page at any time and a lot of it doesn't work. Thanks anyway!

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Yes you do. And I guess technically I do as I'm still paying my car registration, house insurance and rates, getting welfare etc but I'm staying in Africa with my husband as we want to be together. Do you think this precludes the visitor visa?
It shouldn't do.

We got a 12 month Visitor Visa for my fiance, and I had been out of Australia for almost 2 years. I was living overseas to be with my partner. I didn't even have a house or car in Aus, just a bank account :) (And a daughter over 18)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks J and E I think in our case it will be harder as partner is from a high risk country but here's hoping! I'm glad you were able to do that. It's just horrible being apart and so far apart too. I've had more bad news - medicals have been sent somewhere obscure and tracking does not tell you where, only the city, which is London and it should be Pretoria so no idea how to get them back. That's what your $400 to see the doctor gets you. And being here means there is no accountability and they probably won't help me track it down, but I'm going to try of course.
I will ask mark about my concerns if I can work out how. Thanks for the support, it's just fantastic!

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Thanks J and E I think in our case it will be harder as partner is from a high risk country but here's hoping! !
There may be different levels of high risk countries, but ours is high risk too.

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
It shouldn't do.

We got a 12 month Visitor Visa for my fiance, and I had been out of Australia for almost 2 years. I was living overseas to be with my partner. I didn't even have a house or car in Aus, just a bank account :) (And a daughter over 18)
But yours was not sponsored they may have different requirements for a sponsored visa. Especially if a bond is payable.

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
What part of Africa? Places like Kenya and Ghana is very high risk but places like South Africa are pretty easy to get a tourist visa.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.