Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my fiance are in the last stages of submitting an application for my PMV. Im an indian and he's an aussie citizen. We've been in a long distance relationship for 2+ years(2011 - 2013). He's disabled so travelling overseas was an issue, which is why I visited him , through december'12 and january '13, which is when he proposed(surprise!!! :-D) and we got engaged. We're both in our mid 20's. he's working while I quit work after a year to study further(Masters).

Now, i have some issues that are bothering me.
1. Since Im from a high risk country, does it work against my favour, considering our situation?
2. Is the duration(2+ years) and nature of our relationship (LDR) going to be a problem while considering the application, since I met him for the first time after being LD for a year and some months!

Would be great if someone could help. I know these might sound like silly questions, but our lives and happiness depends on this, so any help would be great! :)

cheers

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
Me and my fiance are in the last stages of submitting an application for my PMV. Im an indian and he's an aussie citizen. We've been in a long distance relationship for 2+ years(2011 - 2013). He's disabled so travelling overseas was an issue, which is why I visited him , through december'12 and january '13, which is when he proposed(surprise!!! :-D) and we got engaged. We're both in our mid 20's. he's working while I quit work after a year to study further(Masters).

Now, i have some issues that are bothering me.
1. Since Im from a high risk country, does it work against my favour, considering our situation?
2. Is the duration(2+ years) and nature of our relationship (LDR) going to be a problem while considering the application, since I met him for the first time after being LD for a year and some months!

Would be great if someone could help. I know these might sound like silly questions, but our lives and happiness depends on this, so any help would be great! :)

cheers
Congratulations on your engagement. :) Being from a high-risk country doesn't "work against you," per se, but it does mean there's a good chance your visa will take longer to be processed than an average applicant from a low-risk country.

A long-distance relationship is absolutely not an issue for the PMV. As long as you can document that you have met each other in person with pictures, and can provide statements and evidence that demonstrate that your relationship is genuine, in my opinion, you should be fine. Sounds like you've already read the Partner Migration Booklet, but if you haven't yet, it's worth a read as there's a lot of information in there.

Again, congratulations, and good luck with your application! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

There has been a problem and we weren't able to lodge a PMV.
NOW, I'm taking up a 1 year Masters course and going to stay with him while I study. My questions are:
1. Can I apply for a temporary partner visa while on my student visa or after it finishes? If yes, when?
2. Since a 1 year masters course does not entitle me to a work permit, will I have to come back or can I stay on (considering I get a bridging visa)?

I'm quite saddened by the recent turn of events and would really like some advice.

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
I'm so sorry, Nomad. That's disheartening. Can you share why your PMV fell through? I'm just curious, because it could help others in similar situations.

Can you apply for a partner visa while on a student visa? As long as your student visa doesn't have a "no further stay" condition I don't see why you wouldn't be able to, as long as you can submit a valid application. Then you'd get a bridging visa with full work rights (I believe) that would kick in, but it would only kick in AFTER the end of your student visa. So whatever limited work rights you have on your student visa would be in force until that visa expired and the bridging visa kicked in.

But one thing that worries me is that the PMV is pretty much the partner visa with the *least* stringent requirements. So I'm concerned that if you didn't qualify to file for a PMV, what would qualify you for a (possibly more difficult) type of partner visa? I'm just checking -- I just want to make sure you're aware of all the issues that may come along with this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.