Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone shed light to our situation?

Can the distance relationship cause the refusal of our prospective marriage visa?

Our Situation:
We are together for 9 years in which last 3.5 years we are in distant relationship.

My fiance is Australian citizen who had been living overseas since young age and when he travelled back home to Australia he started all over.
It took time, getting a job and accommodation, make all needed paperwork as well to meet the criteria of being eligible sponsor for our prospective marriage visa.

I applied for tourist visa twice to visit my fiance but i was refused. So as a result of our circumstances, we have this 3.5 year distant relation in our history.

We are in contact literally every day through messenger, make video, share picture from daily life, send parcels and financial support. And finally we will apply soon.

If someone have been through same situation would appreciate if you share your experience and some advices.
Regards,

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Many applicants that apply for a 300 do not live with their partner and are in long distance relationships. That was certainly the case for my partner and I when we applied, but we also saw each other regularly so my circumstances are not similar to yours. In the year of our applying, my partner was flying back to the US to visit about every three months and would stay at least two weeks each time. Then after applying, we went to Australia to visit him for nearly 3 months while waiting for the 300 to be processed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think the 300 is actually the best option for some people in long distance relationships. We just lodged ours today. We try and see each other every 4-5 months and stay for 3 or 4 weeks at a time. As long as you can show and explain why you are long distance, I think you'll be ok

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I'm not sure how immigration would view you not having actually seen each other for 3.5 years, if I'm reading your post correctly though. Most people in LDRs make attempts to see each other more often than that.

If that IS the case, it might be worth a quick consult with an RMA.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Maybe your partner should spend some time with you overseas before you lodge the application. If you haven’t seen each other in person for 3.5 years I have grave doubts about the application having any chance of success.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the 300 is actually the best option for some people in long distance relationships. We just lodged ours today. We try and see each other every 4-5 months and stay for 3 or 4 weeks at a time. As long as you can show and explain why you are long distance, I think you'll be ok
Thanks for sharing your situation. We have long established relationship we are together since University years, we will mention that in our application and show evidence. We understand the issue of 3.5 years, but we literally have called each other everyday and it is very hard for us to be apart. I stay with mother and supported her after my father death and it was hard to travel that time, the same time my fiance as an Australian who lived abroad with me he had to do a lot once he returned to Australia, like getting taxation papers that need history which he didn't have and all this paper alike so he can be the sponsor and that played it part in prolonging. We had plans before to travel together, soon we will travel together abroad before applying.Thanks for sharing, and wish you to reunite with beloved one soon.

·
Registered
524 Posts
my fiance as an Australian who lived abroad with me he had to do a lot once he returned to Australia, like getting taxation papers that need history which he didn't have and all this paper alike so he can be the sponsor and that played it part in prolonging.
There's no requirement for sponsor to provide tax records.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many applicants that apply for a 300 do not live with their partner and are in long distance relationships. That was certainly the case for my partner and I when we applied, but we also saw each other regularly so my circumstances are not similar to yours. In the year of our applying, my partner was flying back to the US to visit about every three months and would stay at least two weeks each time. Then after applying, we went to Australia to visit him for nearly 3 months while waiting for the 300 to be processed.
Thanks for sharing. We are seeing each other soon. Some questions: you got approved, if so? how long was the processing time?
Also, if i'm getting it right, you applied for 300 and the tourist visa at the same time? or 300 first then tourist and you updated the application with new info that your also have applied for the tourist visa?

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Thanks for sharing. We are seeing each other soon. Some questions: you got approved, if so? how long was the processing time?
Also, if i'm getting it right, you applied for 300 and the tourist visa at the same time? or 300 first then tourist and you updated the application with new info that your also have applied for the tourist visa?
I applied for the 300 and after applied for an ETA to come to Australia. I had already stated my intention to do so in my application statement so when I arrived in Oz I just updated my contact details (phone and address).

My 300 was ready for approval in just over 3 months but I was onshore at the time so I got the grant just over 4 months after applying. I applied in 2015 from a low risk country that had much faster processing times than now. You really can't compare processing times for offshore applications from one country to the next.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
3.5 years wow I'm so sorry that you have not been able to see each other for all of this time. Personally I would speak with a migration agent to check what you should do. I am not an agent, just another applicant, but to me if you have been together for so long and have evidence and reasons for being apart it should be okay. But I am possibly quite an optimist! I wish you all the best and hope you can see each other in person soon :)
Thank you for the reply and thanks for your optimism, it is needed :)
are you also applying for PMV300?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Don’t wish any malice but 3.5 years apart with no physical contact or visits would sound a bit weird if I was working for immigration. Appreciate people need to time to readjust/find a new home if they have moved back to a new country but 3.5 years with not a single visit to see your lover/fiancé would ring alarm bells. Might be worth seeing a migration agent or at least reuniting and getting some fresh in person evidence.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Can someone shed light to our situation?

Can the distance relationship cause the refusal of our prospective marriage visa?

Our Situation:
We are together for 9 years in which last 3.5 years we are in distant relationship.

My fiance is Australian citizen who had been living overseas since young age and when he travelled back home to Australia he started all over.
It took time, getting a job and accommodation, make all needed paperwork as well to meet the criteria of being eligible sponsor for our prospective marriage visa.

I applied for tourist visa twice to visit my fiance but i was refused. So as a result of our circumstances, we have this 3.5 year distant relation in our history.

We are in contact literally every day through messenger, make video, share picture from daily life, send parcels and financial support. And finally we will apply soon.

If someone have been through same situation would appreciate if you share your experience and some advices.
Regards,
That's such a long time to not see your fiance. I don't know how you do it. I only see my partner once a year but usually for 2-3 months. And waiting in between that is just awful. 😞 We applied for our PMV in January and as you know it's very expensive and a long wait! I think it would be worth it to see a migration agent and take their advice. I feel bad suggesting this because I know you probably want to get your application in ASAP but perhaps it might help for him to come see you, even if it causes a delay in lodging. Better to delay than to risk being denied.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.