Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My partner is Australian in the Aussie Army and I'm Scottish and in the British Army, we're applying for the Prospective Marriage visa this year and haven't been able to find any time lines on how long it can take to process the Application and priorities for processing? Can anyone give us any info they have?? We've read every document imaginable with regards to this visa and are concerned that we may wait forever on this visa.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Welcome to the forum chel and I'll move your thread to the Visas and immigration section.

But to answer your question, whereas the government has introduced something of a priority system for the general skilled migration stream because of the growing global economic crisis, there has never been as far as I know anything of a priority system in place for the family/partners/proposed partners stream.

It'll work for those something like as applications are received they'll be put on the workload list and you have a discreet group of officers handling that type of visa and a Case Officer will eventually get your application - all partner type visas have some similarity though prospective marriage probably has less needed to verify that you've been in a relationship.
We've had one poster recently who indicated a visa was granted after about six months and so that may be taken as some sort of a guide and the main thing with any visas is to make sure you've got the application right and so make sure you thoroughly read all the info in eligibility and applying for the visa sections including links and making use of checklist and notes with application forms.

I'd even have a couple of application forms and use one as a dummie run and then that becomes your reference copy, it being errors and incomplete information that'll delay an application.

Good Luck and best wishes for the nuptials.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response it's a great help as we're both currently sat in Afghanistan and struggling to get the info we require.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Not by a long shot a pleasant place to be and especially with ANZAC day yesterday I wish you and all military and other serving personnel there the utmost safety.

Do you have family at both ends who you can just give a list to of documents needed and then maybe you both could ask if ypu haven't already if there is any chance that the army organisations can pull some strings re a secondment posting or at east a special consideration by immigration on some sort of interim application though that'd not really be essential for if you are released by the Brits, you could always enter initiallly on a tourist visa or if young enough and haven't done one before, a Working Holiday Visa.

Give you plenty of time to get info organised and apply for the prospective from in Oz.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not by a long shot a pleasant place to be and especially with ANZAC day yesterday I wish you and all military and other serving personnel there the utmost safety.

Do you have family at both ends who you can just give a list to of documents needed and then maybe you both could ask if ypu haven't already if there is any chance that the army organisations can pull some strings re a secondment posting or at east a special consideration by immigration on some sort of interim application though that'd not really be essential for if you are released by the Brits, you could always enter initiallly on a tourist visa or if young enough and haven't done one before, a Working Holiday Visa.

Give you plenty of time to get info organised and apply for the prospective from in Oz.
We've tried for a secondment but to be truthful it's easier just to leave the the British forces and start a new life with my loved one. We're hoping to put in our application when we return in Oct and hope to have a reply with regards to the progress of the application next march. We're doing everything we can to gather as much info as possible to enable our application to run smoothly and i'm grateful of the info you have passed onto me which has helped clear the mist.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
chel,
Been a few people posting recently re partner visas, Belle20 being last per the thread linked here: http://www.australiaforum.com/visas-immigration/1970-de-facto-visa-interview.html

Of particular interest is the earlier one by Jadeybaby I linked for her re speed of get a partner visa, Jb's Bf, a SA being extra quick, like approved within a couple of months.

I'd expect that they would be checking partner visas far more than a prospective marriage visa and with your background I would not expect you should have too great a difficulty.

The other thing that may interest you is there was a news report on ANZAC day saying how the Aus PM is supposed to be announcing some sort of an expansion of Oz military so perhaps if you want to swap sides, there could be some potential possibility of that.

I'd reckon any detail will likely be announced in Gov. Budget for 2009/2010 which will be early May, and news will be on internet.

Once again, good luck to you both and stay safe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks you, i'll look into the expansion of the Australian Army it's always an option and i have plenty to offer.

I'll look at JB's link for an idea on time scales. Thanks again

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have submitted all my paperwork, medicals, police checks and evidence at the same time.

Application submitted: 2 March 2010

Assigned CO: 3 March 2010

CO requested military Police check, submitted: 17 March 2010

Forwarded Military discharge papers: 17 March 2010

Email received: 10 May 2010 informing me my application is going through internal processing and may be finalised in June (no word on how the application stands?)

My partner is devastated it's taking so long and he's powerless to do anything?? We seem to spend so much time apart. I have now visited him twice over the last 6 months in Oz. Should I be worried that it may get rejected and that's why i've not heard anything? :confused:

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
I have submitted all my paperwork, medicals, police checks and evidence at the same time.

Application submitted: 2 March 2010

Assigned CO: 3 March 2010

CO requested military Police check, submitted: 17 March 2010

Forwarded Military discharge papers: 17 March 2010

Email received: 10 May 2010 informing me my application is going through internal processing and may be finalised in June (no word on how the application stands?)

My partner is devastated it's taking so long and he's powerless to do anything?? We seem to spend so much time apart. I have now visited him twice over the last 6 months in Oz. Should I be worried that it may get rejected and that's why i've not heard anything? :confused:
The PMVs do for whatever reason often seem to take a bit longer than the straight out partner visas Chel but it may just be that it is that it seems so and more just a factor of the numbers of applications being handled at any time.
Us Aussies have great respect for our military people and even similar recognition for those from overseas forces and so they would need an extra good reason to reject.
It is good that the CO has given you the update and the internal processing is terminology that may mean they have all required documents on hand and just the dotting of i's and crossing the t's, June being little more than a week away and March to June is only three months so before long, all could be well on the eastern front and expeditionary forces have not done too badly.

Best wishes for a speedy and safe trip away from all that Volcanic Ash!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The PMVs do for whatever reason often seem to take a bit longer than the straight out partner visas Chel but it may just be that it is that it seems so and more just a factor of the numbers of applications being handled at any time.
Us Aussies have great respect for our military people and even similar recognition for those from overseas forces and so they would need an extra good reason to reject.
It is good that the CO has given you the update and the internal processing is terminology that may mean they have all required documents on hand and just the dotting of i's and crossing the t's, June being little more than a week away and March to June is only three months so before long, all could be well on the eastern front and expeditionary forces have not done too badly.

Best wishes for a speedy and safe trip away from all that Volcanic Ash!
Thanks for the post, I feel a little bit more relaxed about my application and I'll keep my fingers crossed for now!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.