Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
907 Posts
Hi :)

Generally you have to be engaged to get married to be granted this visa. Once it's granted, you should marry your fiance within 9 months.

NOIM is only needed if you plan to marry in Australia. If you're getting married in any other country you would need evidence that you intend to marry your partner within 9 months of being granted the visa.
"Such evidence must be a signed and dated letter (on letterhead) from an authorised marriage celebrant who will conduct your wedding ceremony. The letter must include the place and date (or date range) on which the planned marriage ceremony may take place" - Partner Migration Booklet.

What's your partners immigration status in Australia? What did you both put as your marital status for your visa applications to Australia within the past 3 years?

· Registered
907 Posts
Hey Ramah,

Thanks for your response!

He has a PR. Though we plan to get engaged by November/December (the only time he will get to be in India). We haven't lodged our applications as of yet, we plan to latest by October.

Also applying 'Intent to Marry' for a long duration isn't possible in my country as we have to get married within the 3 months of its application. What if we apply NOIM from Australia itself, in the future can we cancel that and get married in India instead?
You have to show your intention to marry at the time of lodging the application so usually that's by getting engaged, I don't know if this is a mandatory requirement. You could have a read through the partner migration booklet and see if it helps: https://www.border.gov.au/Forms/Documents/1127.pdf

I don't think you actually have to submit a NOIM from India, as stated in my previous post, you just need that letter.

The definition of NOIM in the partner migration booklet is "A Notice of Intended Marriage that is completed by a couple who intend to
marry in Australia" so you won't need one if you're planning on getting married in India.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.