Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone! My partner and I have been de facto for nearly 3 years now (!!) but for 2 months during that time, he was working on a job in VIC that meant he stayed with his parents temporarily and travelled back to NSW every weekend to stay in our apartment. Is Home Affairs going to find issue with this in determining our de facto status (I am hoping to get the 3 year "long term" 820/801 back-to-back issue)? We still had a lease together and all his things were here, it was only 2 months for work, he came back every weekend (I have dozens of photos).. What evidence should I supply to ensure that this is not a trouble for our app? Stat dec from his employer saying it was temporary? Stat dec from us?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi bbrisbine.

This shouldn't be a problem for such a short period. I would provide evidence of his employment, and records of your contact while you were apart. Contact me if you need assistance.

Lisa De Leon
MARN 1170616
Australian Visa Options.
0423 091 712

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Lisa, thank you for your reply! I do not have any contact records for that time, but I have photos from most weekends where we were camping together, hiking, etc. If I can somehow date-stamp them, will these photos be sufficient? We can also have his employer sign a stat dec, or sign one ourselves.

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
I my guess is he used his ATM card on weekends and for transport home (fuel/flights).

But as Lisa a Registered Migration Agent of 7 years has said "This shouldn't be a problem for such a short period"

There are many applicants that are FIFO.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hi Lisa, thank you for your reply! I do not have any contact records for that time, but I have photos from most weekends where we were camping together, hiking, etc. If I can somehow date-stamp them, will these photos be sufficient? We can also have his employer sign a stat dec, or sign one ourselves.
In Windows you can right-click on an image, select Properties, then select Details. You will see the creation date of the photo. I then change the file name to reflect the event/place and the date.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In Windows you can right-click on an image, select Properties, then select Details. You will see the creation date of the photo. I then change the file name to reflect the event/place and the date.
Thanks for the tip! Just wondering if there is a more official way to date stamp the photos, otherwise what's to stop people from saying a photo was taken on a different date than it actually was? Or do you think Home Affairs will just trust the dates we put down?

·
Premium Member
8,885 Posts
I don't think those photos would be enough for exactly the reason you said. You don't have ANY way to get records of contact during that period? Facebook messages? Texts? Whatsapp messages? Good old fashioned phone records? Surely you talked somehow during those two months?

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Thanks for the tip! Just wondering if there is a more official way to date stamp the photos, otherwise what's to stop people from saying a photo was taken on a different date than it actually was? Or do you think Home Affairs will just trust the dates we put down?
That's why you should use evidence to back up the photos. A photo of the two of you together or with family and friends with a significant landmarl in the background (e.g., eiffel tower), flight itinerary or boarding passes showing both names and seats together, hotel booking receipts on that location, etc. A photo at a sports event can be backed up with receipt or photo of the tickets if you kept them. Haven't kept things like receipts and what not? Check your email. Or check bank statements and label the purchase. It'll be dated on the statement.

I would never supply a photo without support for it. Too easy to doctor photos and even those time stamps in the file can be changed.

I have a kid. Some of the photos we used were a handful of him with my partner over time so you can see him grow from toddler to older child over time. That's an example of using photos to show the relationship over time. You can do something similar with photos where hairstyles or hair color change, growing out hair/beard, weight loss or gain, etc.

Obviously not a requirement but that's the kind of attention to detail we put into our app. Always aim for quality over quanitity. A bunch of selfies don't mean as much as photos with family or friends that show the relationship is known to others... that kind of thing. You shouldn't need more than 20 photos or so and you can put them into one pdf to use one upload slot. Don't upload each photo individually into immi. One, that's a waste of upload space and two, it's not a very organized way of presenting your evidence to a CO that now has to sift through 20 individual files of photos along with everything else you've uploaded.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
I don't think those photos would be enough for exactly the reason you said. You don't have ANY way to get records of contact during that period? Facebook messages? Texts? Whatsapp messages? Good old fashioned phone records? Surely you talked somehow during those two months?
Agreed. There must be SOMETHING. And immigration does say they want to see evidence of contact while apart so it's something I would certainly be trying to show.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.