Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I am currently trying to work towards stay here in Australia permanently. My currently situation is:
I am currently studying at a TAFE school registered to study for 2 full years, Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery -> Diploma of Hospitality Management.
My school offers another track where I can study 2 full years for Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery and Certificate IV in Patisserie.
I'm a bit hesitant about studying Diploma because it's all management classes that I have already studied before in my University days (already completed a Bachelor of Business Administrations) and I think it would be more beneficial for me to study Patisserie as well to equip myself for the industry.

My question is this:
I've been reading up on 485 Temporary Graduate visa and 489 Skilled Regional state sponsor visa.
485 requires 2 full years of study in a CRICOS-registered course and it says, "have completed one or more degrees, diplomas or trade qualifications". Does Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery qualify as a trade qualification or do I need to obtain a Diploma in order to be recognised?
Same situation for 489. It also mentions as long as I have a trade qualification as a minimum, but do I really need to study Diploma?

Would I be better off holding a Diploma of Hospitality Management in the Australian industry for better job opportunities? Will I be able to work towards permanent residency holding a Certificate IV only?

The skill occupation that I want working towards is Chef which is level 2 position that requires to be a supervisory position "plans and organises the preparation and cooking of food in a dining or catering establishment." and not just cook and serve.

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
To be eligible to apply for a Subclass 485 as a cook, you must be able to be assessed as a chef at the end of it, unless you progress on and do a Bachelor Degree in Hospitality. So bear that in mind.

Regarding the 489 you need to find out which State or Territory is sponsoring Cooks or Chefs before you do anything unless you have relatives who can sponsor you.

I suggest you invest in a chat with an experienced migration agent so that you know what you need to achieve to get the outcome you want. Don't ask your friends as things have changed a lot recently.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I am aware that the law is ever changing so quickly recently, so I want to be able to speed up the process as well as choosing the best option for myself before they make any major changes to Chef. Thank you for your response. My currently financial situation isn't in the best position for me to invest in speaking with an agent, so I was trying to seek for some answers here. I'll try to do more research.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.