Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just a few questions I had about applying for a partner visa. I have been living in SE Asia in what would probably be considered a 'high-risk' country for almost 5 years now. My husband (who is a local) and I are almost up to our 5 year wedding anniversary, but have known each other for about 13 years overall. We have a young daughter together, and he has never been to AU. We now plan to relocate to Australia, but I need to go on ahead with our daughter (who is a citizen), to save up the $7000+ required for the visa. So it would entail at least a year's separation while the visa is processed, adding a little bit of time to prepare paperwork and to find the money before we can start.

My questions are, 1. Do you think the separation (which is only out of necessity because I don't have 7 grand sitting in the bank) would affect our application? Obviously we would keep in touch online and via text and calls, which I would save evidence of, and I plan to come and visit during the time too, but would the government accept that needing to save up the visa fee is a genuine reason to have a temporary separation? There is no way I can accumulate the money while living here.

2. When I arrive I would probably have to apply for a centrelink payment as our daughter is still young. I plan to live with my mother and do whatever online and/or part time work I need to do to get the money together (can't work online in this country because the signal is hopeless). Would being a centrelink recipient affect my suitability as a sponsor?

3. My last question is regarding evidence about the genuineness of our relationship, in particular the financial aspect. My husband has only worked seasonal jobs on a cash basis. All our bills and assets are in his name because foreigners cannot own land where we live, and having a foreigner's name on things just creates extra hassle and expense - so pretty much everything is in his name. We have travelled together, and have pictures of our social outings together and stuff like that, but I am worried we are a little bit lacking on the evidence side. I know our relationship is genuine, but living in this country, where everything is basically done with cash, does not leave a very good paper trail.

Any ideas? Thanks!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.