Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The situation between myself and my partner is rather unique so we're wanting to find out a bit more information about the Partner Temporary/Permanent Visa (Subclass 820 and 801) on the basis of marriage.

We met online and have been together for a few years communicating online through MSN, email, webcam/microphone. That was basically the way we got to know each other as at the time we were both not financially ready to start a proper relationship (like meeting each other in real life).

Anyway, my partner finally pulled together enough to get a plane ticket as well as enough to get us started. However, I still live with my parents (even though I pay them boarding, cheaper than going out and living in my own apartment). Our situation is that we have only been together for 6 months (in reality if you count the time's we spent together on MSN webcam/microphone, it probably adds up to 2 and a half years but the Immigration of Australia only counts the actual time we've been physically together). The question I have is regarding the fact that if we get married now, is it actually still possible to apply for a Partner Temporary/Permanent Visa with the basis of marriage?

I have read the Partner Booklet several times but as my friends have said, the booklet doesn't exactly state everything because the Immigration is most likely to ask for a dozen more documents to prove the genuine relationship.

Our predicament is that we have only been together for 6 months, we haven't got any joint bank accounts and the only expenses we've shared together is paying board to my parents as well as the daily necessities (like shampoo, bath gel, food). We are able to have family and friends that will back up the genuine relationship as well as both us together are financially secure. However, the catch is that I am not employed at the moment due to myself being in University. I am in my last semester of university then I'll graduate. Will it be practical if we applied for a Partner Temporary/Permanent Visa given our circumstances?

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
If you're planning on getting married, that waives the 12 months relationship requirement but as per Booklet #1 you still need to show a committed and continuing relationship is intended.
Your past history can be used to support that and it's all about collating evidence and presenting it in the best format.
http://www.australiaforum.com/visas-immigration/5216-tempoary-visa-partner.html and suggestions there may help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem we are currently facing is that my partner entered Australia on a ETA Visa which has been extended once to a Tourist Visa (Subclass 676). We haven't really got much history as a couple before the day he arrived here and we met due to the fact that before that we had only known each other over the internet. I know that the Immigration of Australia doesn't recognize an exchange of photos or webcame/microphone towards the genuine of the relationship, but we haven't got much proof that we've been a solid couple as we really haven't had the time to be able to build a proper foundation.

The question that I'm asking is that right now he is having to leave Australia by the 3rd of September due to his tourist visa expiring. We have read every visa available and it looks like the only way we might be able to build the foundation of proof of our genuine relationship is for him to leave the country and apply for another Tourist Visa for 6 months. That would give us enough time to be able to build a foundation of having a shared lifestyle such as both of us participating in social activities or having physical proof of letters being sent to the both of us here at this residential address. However, the thing I'm afraid of is that if he applys for a 6 month tourist visa and it is stamped with a No Further Stay condition then the entire plan is just a waste.

I'm running out of ideas on what we can apply for to be able to be together as a couple without having to go back to a internet based relationship and I would like to know if there is any other way that we may be able to do this.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Is he eligible for a Working Holiday Visa, can he afford a student visa or if you're now not considering marriage, yep he will have to see if a further tourist visa extension is possible of leave and apply for another, hoping one is granted and if it has a NFS then he may have to leave again and get an ETA again or apply for a partner visa from abroad if you have an appropriate 12 months together.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is he eligible for a Working Holiday Visa, can he afford a student visa or if you're now not considering marriage, yep he will have to see if a further tourist visa extension is possible of leave and apply for another, hoping one is granted and if it has a NFS then he may have to leave again and get an ETA again or apply for a partner visa from abroad if you have an appropriate 12 months together.
No, he isn't eligible for a Working Visa and the Student Visa was one of our options but simply taking a subject is just far too expensive for us to withstand. What we are currently planning is for him to extend his Tourist Visa for a further 6 months which will give us enough time to at least set-up a bank account together and start building toward covering every requirement in the Partner Temporary Visa requirements. That will also give us enough time to get married etc. I am hoping that they won't mark his visa with a No Further Stay but I think our chances of that happening is rather high due to the fact that once he extends this visa it'll reach the 12 month quota of him being on Australia Shore.

Just out of curiosity, when are they likely to place the No Further Stay condition? Is it at the end of a 12 month Tourist Visa? Or just whenever they see fit to mark it on the visa?

By the way, thank you for your help so far Wanderer. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A nfs will be on a visa when it is granted so you may have to see if his existing tourist visa already has it.
No. We've called up immigration to check and they said there isn't any No Further Stay condition currently on his visa. They said he can apply for a Tourist Visa extended if he wanted too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.