Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies in advanced for not being too well informed on these subjects.

I'm a 27 year old female from the US. I'm looking to move to Perth and I'm trying to figure out ways to not only get into the country but to hopefully stay longer than the Work and Holiday visa would allow. (I'm not opposed to the W&H visa but that would only get me in for a year before I'd have to come back)

I've been considering working towards a student visa. Last I checked the Student Visa 500 lasted one to three months but it seems to have been extended to up to five years. So I was just wondering if maybe you guys would have an idea of whether or not this was even possible.

Unfortunately, I was forced to drop out of high school a few months into my first year due to some family issues, so I was never able to graduate. I did, however, get my GED and I've enrolled into a community college with an interest in various subjects, such as culinary arts, psychology, and carpentry. (But I'm also very open to other majors if they would increase my odds of moving)

I was hoping it would be possible to eventually apply for and transfer to a school in Perth, possibly for carpentry as that's on the skilled occupations list, with hopes of eventually finding work there in that field.

So my questions are:

Is this a viable option for me?

Would I actually be able to stay for longer than I would with the W&H visa or would I only be able to study there for a few months?

If I am able to stay longer, Is there maybe another career path that would give me better odds of getting accepted into a school there?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.