Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day everyone! :)

I applied for the partner 820/801 visa in February 2018 and am still waiting for a decision (as expected).

I would like to go home to the US for the upcoming holidays and to relieve my mother of care-taking duties for my grandmother.

I endeavor to travel end of October through to the new year, possibly first of Feb.

Should I give EXACT dates as to when I am traveling? I have not booked any flights yet. Or should I wait to apply for this BVB after booking flights?

If I state travel dates of NOV 1 2018 to FEB 1 2019 on the application, are those the only dates they will consider for approval or will they give you a 3-month "window", starting from the day you actually depart Australia? (Like they do with the working/holiday visa...the year starts when you enter kind of thing....)

**Also**.... if I am approved for a 3-month BVB, will it be possible to apply for another leave of absence if I need to go home for a family emergency or death? Or is it kind of like a one shot deal with the leaving while your visa is being processed?

Thanks everyone for your help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,892 Posts
You can apply and as long as you show good reason there's a high probability it will be granted. Apply for the period you wish to go. Further BVB are possible.

Booking flights before a visa grant is risky, but hey get more expensive closer to the date of travel and the time the BVB is granted, so it's a gamble both ways.

It's not very often you see someone saying "my BVB got declined.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mania, thank you for your response. Without people like you, who take the time to reply to those of us who don't know what to do, a lot of people would make grave mistakes and waste time and money doing the wrong things.

I sometimes feel like every step I take is potentially one step in the wrong direction and therefore it makes me a bit paranoid. Almost like I can't think for myself anymore because it's all so new and at times confusing. :/

I definitely hope to apply for the BVB and then book a flight. I just wasn't sure in what order to do what. Or if there were "rules" about it.

Thanks again. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
I've had advice from migration agents about my BVB, since I want to be away for almost the whole three months!

I've been told that your three months begin from the date that it is granted, so you should only apply when the earliest possible grant date (sometimes same-day) will still give you breathing space around your return flight (say four days, in case of flight delays, storms, etc.) before your three months ends. You CAN'T apply more than three months in advance of travel according to the immigration website, so this could be why.

So you betcha I've booked flights already, though it's not yet time to apply for the BVB!

I am aware that I am taking a risk here, though! However, the worst case scenario is this: I don't get it, or don't get it in time; I leave the country anyway; I have to come back in on a tourist visa, and then apply to get my BVA reinstated (the only requirement for this is that I have an application for a partner visa in the works, so this is a given). The BVA (temporary visa) won't kick in until the substantive (Tourist) visa ends, though, so I won't be able to work for three months. This is not a problem for me, but if it would be for you, you might not want to take the same risk as me. I HAVE been assured, however, that this worst case scenario will have no negative effect on my partner visa or later citizenship applications, otherwise I wouldn't be taking the chance.

You should still tell them the exact dates that you're away, since they want to know at all times, near enough, whether you are onshore in Australia or away offshore. But the BVB ought to be valid for three months to re-enter the country on regardless.

This is what I have been told, sharing in case it helps!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Also regarding "good reasons" apparently wanting to spend time with your family overseas is in itself a good enough reason, and the agent I was speaking to had had people's holidays in Fiji approved this way because they were meeting up with family there! (Since application times are so long now they are apparently becoming kinder on this. He expects travel rights to become automatic eventually, like work rights did - but it's a long process to get these sorts of improvements put on the legislative table, never mind made law.)

And there is no limit to the number of BVBs you can get if you need them. I, like you, will only be making one planned trip, but unplanned trips for emergencies/developments I can't predict at this point in time will still be possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow! Hi Gingersnap, you are seriously brave! I don't think I would want to leave the country without having a BVB already in the pocket. I would not want to take the risk of having to go through the pain of *potentially* having the BVA reinstated.

BUT, I really appreciate you sharing this information and I will definitely consider what you have said and the advice you have received from others.

SO MUCH to consider!! I was hoping someone else would share their 2 cents, since there is always more than one angle to any immigration scenario. :/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Wow! Hi Gingersnap, you are seriously brave! I don't think I would want to leave the country without having a BVB already in the pocket. I would not want to take the risk of having to go through the pain of *potentially* having the BVA reinstated.
I certainly wouldn't be chancing this if I hadn't decided/budgeted to engage a migration agent to help with all that! That would take an even braver person than I... (perhaps an applicant that is a lawyer themselves? Haha)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,892 Posts
No guarantee a visitor visa will be granted for the 're entry - the requirements for the visa need to be met and you may not be deemed as a genuine visitor.

Everything with visas is a risk. Personally I would be inclined to book the flights but pay the extra cash for a ticket that allows changes, or at least ensure that I can pay to make changes in the class of ticket I buy.

Ruby - No problem, a lot of the time it's blind leading the blind with me! Everything I know has been learnt from my own process my agent and the questions the migration agents here have answerd suplimented with a bit of reading from the act.

There's nothing more rewarding the when someone asks a question the come back a few months later and give their outcome, it allows everyone to learn from their specific experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mania, I quite agree with what you have said.

I had a scary instance happen when I was in Australia on a tourist visa and left to go to Bali. I came back in hoping to get another 3 months tourist visa and the BP/Immigration took me into the back room, went through my phone, emails, Facebook, etc to make sure I was not coming in to work or look for work. They stated that because I had mentioned that my reason for coming in the first time was to be with my partner, they said that I was not truly a "tourist" and that I was misusing the visa. They were kind enough to allow me through for a second 3-month tourist visa stay, but I would never make the mistake of doing that again and risk getting turned away.

That's why I definitely plan to have a BVB already secured before I go anywhere!

That being said, I have another silly question regarding the BVB window.

When I state that I want to travel from...say.... 1 Nov 2018 through to 1 Feb 2019, it is said that THOSE dates can not be changed once the BVB is granted. My question is, can I travel WITHIN those dates or am I locked into booking tickets on 1 Nov 2018 and 1 Feb 2019? Does that make sense? :/

Could I state that those are the dates I plan to travel and then wind up traveling 6 Nov and coming back 28 Jan? Is that ok?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And yes, Mania, once I get through this process and everything is behind me, I plan to spend a lot of time on here answering questions for others and sharing my stories and experience.

I totally agree, it would be very rewarding and honestly, a lot of us could simply not go through all this without the help of people on the forum.

Not to mention, a lot of people do not have the money to consult migration agents every time they have a question or are unsure of a move they are about to make. It is just not within their means.

<3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
No guarantee a visitor visa will be granted for the 're entry - the requirements for the visa need to be met and you may not be deemed as a genuine visitor.
Absolutely!! I know this can happen! (See story about Perth airport)
That's why I was fearful for Gingersnap, but if they seem confident in what they have been advised...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
*BUMP*
does anyone have any info about the flexibility of dates (within your stated time frame of travel) once you have applied and been granted a BVB?
Cheers, Dani
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
If you are intending to travel at the end of October/November then return with some flexibility, I would apply shortly.

Maybe instead of booking the flights, you could have a travel agency quote flexible flights for you and attach that quote?

Then you can just submit a basic outline of where you plan to go and what you want to do.

My husband was grated 6 months from application date, even though we only stated we needed it for around 2 weeks.



This is exactly what it said;

Visa grant date 9th January 2018

----------
Travel overseas
This Bridging visa B replaces the previous Bridging visa A or Bridging visa B granted in association with your application for a Partner (Temporary) (class UK) Partner (subclass 820) visa.
Your bridging visa B allows you to leave and return to Australia on multiple occasions until 09 July 2018. You must make sure that you return to Australia before this date. If you are in Australia after 09 July 2018, this bridging visa allows you to remain in Australia, but not to travel overseas again, until your substantive visa application is decided.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Hi Ruby,

I just wanted to let you know that our BVB came through this morning, so just on 24 hours.

Interesting though, they only granted us a 3 month window on this visa and not 6 months as per the previous Visa.. however I didn't ask for longer than required.
Also we are 15 months into our wait now since applying, so its possible that we would be at the next stage when we need to travel again in July.

I would agree that probably its a good idea to book your tickets as a flexible option, and then apply 2.5-3 weeks before you want to leave.

This is the second time we have waited less than 2 days for a Visa.. My husband is also from the US which is a low risk country.

Goodluck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Ruby,

I just wanted to let you know that our BVB came through this morning, so just on 24 hours.

Interesting though, they only granted us a 3 month window on this visa and not 6 months as per the previous Visa.. however I didn't ask for longer than required.
Also we are 15 months into our wait now since applying, so its possible that we would be at the next stage when we need to travel again in July.

I would agree that probably its a good idea to book your tickets as a flexible option, and then apply 2.5-3 weeks before you want to leave.

This is the second time we have waited less than 2 days for a Visa.. My husband is also from the US which is a low risk country.

Goodluck!
Thanks so much for the input. I am hoping that it will be quick for me too. I am really glad to hear that yours came through and you can relax a little! :)
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top