Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. Just a quick question. My wife put in her application for a partner visa here in Ho Chi Minh City 5 months ago, and she got a call this morning from the consulate saying that we could pick up the documents (photos, I guess) we'd submitted for the application. They said that they hadn't called us for an interview as there was enough information in what we'd submitted for them to make their decision. She had to make an appointment for a time when the officer would be there.

I suspected they may request AOS or something, but they would have done so before returning our documents, right? So is it likely the visa has been approved, or is there a chance it was declined?

I can't figure out any reasons why it would be declined, but as they didn't say if it was granted or declined, I don't wanna jump to any conclusions yet. Any advice on the likelihood either way, or can we only know when we go and meet the officer?

We have an appointment on Friday morning, but we're already dying of suspense, Thursday will drag out so long not knowing!

·
Registered
509 Posts
There's no AoS for a partner visa. I think you're right to not jump to any conclusions, just attend on Friday and see what they say, why they couldn't just tell you over the phone though I don't know, seems like a weird way of going about their business but different embassies have different ways of operating.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi. Just a quick question. My wife put in her application for a partner visa here in Ho Chi Minh City 5 months ago, and she got a call this morning from the consulate saying that we could pick up the documents (photos, I guess) we'd submitted for the application. They said that they hadn't called us for an interview as there was enough information in what we'd submitted for them to make their decision. She had to make an appointment for a time when the officer would be there.

I suspected they may request AOS or something, but they would have done so before returning our documents, right? So is it likely the visa has been approved, or is there a chance it was declined?

I can't figure out any reasons why it would be declined, but as they didn't say if it was granted or declined, I don't wanna jump to any conclusions yet. Any advice on the likelihood either way, or can we only know when we go and meet the officer?

We have an appointment on Friday morning, but we're already dying of suspense, Thursday will drag out so long not knowing!
I would love to hear the outcome of your visa!! We are just about to submit our partner visa application here in Hai Phong, however online, but didn't know how long it would take here in Vietnam. (I am British)
Good luck!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would love to hear the outcome of your visa!! We are just about to submit our partner visa application here in Hai Phong, however online, but didn't know how long it would take here in Vietnam. (I am British)
Good luck!!
At that time, it was just to collect our documents and they said wait for news. Just this morning we got the call that the visa was granted. So just because they're done with the documents doesn't mean anything, really. It will take as much longer beyond that as they decide it will take. My guess is the decision was already made, but they have quotas or minimum times to follow.

Good luck with your application!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
11 months and going for my wife, step daughter here in HCMC... we are quite distressed about it. I cannot figure out the process and why its taking so long.
So sorry to hear that. I'm not sure why there would be such a big difference in processing times. I'll give a little background info about Jade so you can compare situations, if that helps.

We'd been going out for 7 years at the time of application, and married for 3. We lived together in China and then in Vietnam. Jade has a Masters degree in Education along with a TESOL certificate, and has been working in Early Childhood Education for about 4 years (I think that may be a factor, as that is an industry on the list of high demand workers in Aus).

We put in a fairly thorough application, with a lot of evidence and a lot of work put into labelling and cross referencing everything to save work for the assessor.

My financial situation is not anything amazing, and I would be returning to Australia without having a job to go to or major assets/house. But our ages may have also worked in our favour - I'm 37 and university qualified and she's 31. We had about $25000 in savings in VN.

That's about it.

Maybe the fact that it's your wife and your step daughter together on the application means more work in processing and assessing everything? But that's a completely uneducated guess. I can't really shed any light on what could be happening, but they do say the application generally takes around 12 months - at least that's what they said when we handed in our application.

Hope things come through for you soon and good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the information. I've confirmed since my last post that the delay is due to my stepdaughter being on the application. I've worked in places you just cannot get a police clearance certificate so it appears the Immi department is doing other checks on me. I understand they have legal requirements to meet but a simple meeting with myself and my immediate family would surely show I am no danger to the child. All we can do is wait it out... easier said than done.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So sorry to hear that. I'm not sure why there would be such a big difference in processing times. I'll give a little background info about Jade so you can compare situations, if that helps.

We'd been going out for 7 years at the time of application, and married for 3. We lived together in China and then in Vietnam. Jade has a Masters degree in Education along with a TESOL certificate, and has been working in Early Childhood Education for about 4 years (I think that may be a factor, as that is an industry on the list of high demand workers in Aus).

We put in a fairly thorough application, with a lot of evidence and a lot of work put into labelling and cross referencing everything to save work for the assessor.

My financial situation is not anything amazing, and I would be returning to Australia without having a job to go to or major assets/house. But our ages may have also worked in our favour - I'm 37 and university qualified and she's 31. We had about $25000 in savings in VN.

That's about it.

Maybe the fact that it's your wife and your step daughter together on the application means more work in processing and assessing everything? But that's a completely uneducated guess. I can't really shed any light on what could be happening, but they do say the application generally takes around 12 months - at least that's what they said when we handed in our application.

Hope things come through for you soon and good luck!
Wow, Adam. Your situation is almost identical to mine in almost every respect! I'm wondering, did they issue your wife with a permanent partner visa straight up? Or temporary?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.