Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I've applied for an 820/801 visa. Once it's granted and things settle down, we're planning on travelling abroad to visit my family.
As a permanent resident on an 801, will I need to get a re-entry visa to come back into Australia? I only ask because a friend (who has been here for 40 years as a PR) has to get one every time she comes home.
Any explanations on this one would be appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
There will be a "Must Not Enter After" date (5 years after your PR grant date), so if you just stay in Aussie you never need to worry about it but if you want to travel overseas after the date, you will need to apply for Resident Return Visa to be able to get back into Aussie.

Example : My PR grant date is 24 October 2014, my 'must not enter after' date is 24 October 2019 (5 years after). So before 24 October 2019, I'm free to travel in and out Australia. But after 24 October 2019 if I want to travel back to Aussie I have to apply for RRV.

Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
When your PR visa expires (5 years after it was granted) is when you'll have to start going through the RRV rigmarole. No need to worry about it yet. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Do partners need to apply for these visa's once their PR visa has expired. Am I right in understanding if partner becomes a citizen, then a RRV would no longer be required?

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
Do partners need to apply for these visa's once their PR visa has expired. Am I right in understanding if partner becomes a citizen, then a RRV would no longer be required?
Yes your understanding is correct. Once they become a citizen they are like any other Australian citizen and will be free to come and go as they please as they will be travelling on an Australian passport. They only need a RRV after the PR visa expires while they are a PR and need to leave the country, if they don't leave the country then they don't need a RRV.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks Mish, full of knowledge :D

Just one more, what would be the next step once the PR visa expired? Partner to become a citizen or is there another visa beside the RRV that he would need to apply for.

Think have been caught up in applying for the offshore visa and getting back to Oz ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
Thanks Mish, full of knowledge :D

Just one more, what would be the next step once the PR visa expired? Partner to become a citizen or is there another visa beside the RRV that he would need to apply for.

Think have been caught up in applying for the offshore visa and getting back to Oz ;)
No problem :).

If you meet the citizenship requirements you can apply for citizenship. If not then the RRV is the best and cheapest option. If you have been out of Australia for awhile they may only give you a 1 yr RRV instead of 5 years. You will need to show ties to Australia.

Apart from RRV depends what else you qualify for ie. Skills, partner etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.