Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am an American living in Melbourne on a post grad visa that expires in 6 months. My partner and I (an australian) are now looking to apply for the partner visa. It should be a fairly simple as we have lived together the last 4 years and have a joint bank account (hopefully). Should we hire a RMA to help us with our application or should be just do it ourselves?
Additionally does anyone recommendation and good and affordable RMA in melbourne?
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
List of reputable and recommended RMAs that frequent this forum are here: http://www.australiaforum.com/visas-immigration/252474-registered-migration-agents.html

These ones are all legit and incredibly knowledgeable. No need to be based in Melbourne as this type of stuff is typically handled electronically via email and Skype.

Up to you on whether you should use one or not. If you have a lot of evidence of your de facto relationship over those 4 years, then it could be relatively easy. The way I like to give it as an example is this: Changing your own car oil is an incredibly simple process, but most people just prefer to pay someone else to do it. There is a bit of comfort and confidence in knowing that a professional is helping you submit a thorough and well organized application following all the rules and guidelines that you may not even be aware of.

In your case, if you have de facto evidence for the three years prior to your application, you can have the two year wait period between application date and PR eligibility waived, meaning you could go straight to PR when they assess your temporary 820 visa. An RMA would be able to help you present your application well with supporting evidence with this in mind. It can significantly cut the process down for you as current wait times AFTER PR eligibility are 1-2 years, making the entire partner visa process a 3-4 year thing whereas depending on how long they take to assess your 820, you could be done with the whole thing in about a year.

Edit: My partner and I did the application ourselves. We first started researching partner visas in July of one year and didn't end up applying until December, and even then we learned quite a few things afterwards that we wish we had known before we applied. A lot of people on this forum take several months before applying to really understand the entire process and learn the ins and outs that aren't obviously listed on the immigration website, and some also take weeks to months to gather evidence and organize it properly. So if you're willing to put in the effort to do your homework, you can do it yourself. But again, sometimes it's just easier to have a professional guide you and know that you did everything correctly. Immigration isn't very forgiving of mistakes!

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
If there are any underlying issues such as medical or character then consult a RMA.

Sky has a good point about PR and that is a good reason to consult a RMA or have your application reviewed by a RMA (not all offer this service).

But I recommend before contacting an RMA do some research so you understand better what they are telling you.

Things to think about - when did your relationship start?
How can you prove that?
What was your answer to your marital status question when you applied for your current visa?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If there are any underlying issues such as medical or character then consult a RMA.

Sky has a good point about PR and that is a good reason to consult a RMA or have your application reviewed by a RMA (not all offer this service).

But I recommend before contacting an RMA do some research so you understand better what they are telling you.

Things to think about - when did your relationship start?
How can you prove that?
What was your answer to your marital status question when you applied for your current visa?
I always answered 'single' on my last two visa applications (student visa and post grad visa). I did see 'de-facto' as an option but never put it because i thought it meant my relationship would have to be registered as a defacto. Would that be a big issue now that I am applying for my partner visa?

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
I honestly don't know if it is an issue or how big an issue it might be, but they do have that as evidence.

I worked the other end of the scenario we had a visa refused because we were in a relationship and the was a reason given to refuse the Visitor Visa as incentive to overstay.

When it can time for our PMV and Partner Visa applications, I blatantly reminded them that they had already considered that we were in a relationship and attached the refusal letter as evidence.

I don't think there is any better evidence than evidence that Immigration have/give.

Not all states allow relationship registration recognised by the Immigration Department.

I am sure now you can see, this all takes a bit of planning and lots of homework.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
It's something I would mention to your RMA. Might be nothing but think about it... twice you've said you were single, and now on a new application you all of a sudden have been de facto for four years? False information was given somewhere. I'm no RMA so I don't know how immigration looks at things like that. Would be worth discussing.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Your visa application might be refused, if you or any of the members of your family unit:

provide a bogus document or information that is false or misleading as part of your current visa application.
or
previously provided a bogus document or information that is false or misleading in relation to a visa that you held in the 12 months before making your current application.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi Kelly

I'm a registered migration agent based in Melbourne. I offer a full assistance service, or alternatively a visa application checking service. My contact details are below (and in the Registered Migration Agents link that was provided above).

Kind regards

Lisa Ira (LLB.BA.GDLP)
Principal Migration Consultant (MARN 1467616)
Proxy Migration

e: [email protected]
w: www.proxymigration.com.au

Disclaimer: This message is general in nature does not constitute migration or legal advice and should not be relied upon. To provide you with migration advice, we need to consult with you to obtain your full information and circumstances. If you wish to receive migration advice please email us to arrange an appointment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.