Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - sorry if this is repetitive but couldn't find a answer in the forums and hoping I could get some advice as I'm so confused :confused:

I'm Australian born based in Adelaide and my boyfriend is Irish on a 457 visa and sponsored by work. We met in June 2013 and have lived together for a period of 3-4 months but his work requires him to travel all over Australia but we occasionally fly to visit each other and talk everyday. His work is cutting down his hours and who knows they might be at a risk of closing down so we need to fast track our defacto visa.

We have our joint bank account and name on lease set up 2-3 months ago but cannot live together due to work. I heard registering a relationship under a civil partnership may waive the full 12 months? Only issue is I am based in South Australia and my state doesn't recognise this but my partner has been based in NSW for most of this year and he can. Would this help our defacto visa?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi Vivvles

Although I don't know the answer to your question about registering your relationship, I can tell you that even if you get around the 12-month cohabiting requirement, there is no 'fast-tracking' of Partner Visa's, they take quite a while to process and are expensive to apply for.

It may be worth exploring what options your partner has in the event that his company closes down. I'm not sure of the legalities of changing jobs with a 457 visa - but you should probably start looking into whether there are some sort of 'special circumstances' for 457 visa holders who find themselves in that position. He should also possibly approach his company about his concerns - they may be able to offer some help.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you two!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks LizBee - hopefully he can get sponsorship from another company but as a back up plan we are looking at putting our partner visa sooner.

When he put his application in, I assume he is then on a bridging visa where he does not need to rely on sponsorship and can choose to work where ever he wants and importantly to live with me in the same city as me :)

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
The BVA won't come into effect until the 457 expires.

Also waiving the 12 months is just one requirement you will need evidence to support it too.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
As the others have mentioned applying for the 820 visa will not necessarily help in your situation if your worried your partner may shortly lose his job.

The BVA will not come into effect until his 457 visa expires naturally (cannot be cancelled). So if he loses his job in the 12-18 months that the 820 visa takes to be processed he will have 90 days to find another sponsor or leave the country.

With regards to registering your relationship, I believe that your partner can do this in NSW for you both if he has an address - i'm not sure if he needs to show proof e.g a bill or bank statement in order to register the relationship. Even if you can register your relationship you will need more than 2-3 months of evidence. Has your joint account been open for longer than 2-3 months?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your tips everyone. There is so much to consider.

We registered our joint bank account and added his name to the lease mid September. He is currently based in NSW now which means we can register our relationship which might help.

I am thinking if we wait until March next year then that would be 6 months at least with proof. He lived with me for about 3-4 months earlier this year with only a mail direction and joint foxtel account as proof so not sure if that is sufficient? If so then that makes it 9-10 months.

With everything else, photos, conversation, invitations to weddings, meeting family etc - there is plenty evidence of that. I'm just more unsure of the living arrangement as he is sent away for work alot. Hoping the civil partnership makes our case stronger.
And of course he would need to hopefully stick out his job as long as he can or seek another company willing to sponsor him.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.