Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My partner and I have been in a long distance relationship for 2 1/2 years. We talked online for 6 months before I flew over here in Jan 2016.
I consider that to be the significant date of our relationship, however I was unable to live here permanently as we are a same sex couple in South Australia there was no Relationship Register until late 2017. I moved here this January and our relationship was officially recognised no 19/03/2018.

My question is - what date is my defacto from? Should I just put the date I actually moved here (Jan 2018) and save time having to put information on how we lived apart before I could finally legally move here.

I have lots of evidence on how we maintained our relationship - frequent visits to one another, shared finances, shared property etc but as we are now registered wouldnt it be easier to just put from January or am I over simplifying?

thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We shared finances around October last year, but my tourist visa didnt allow me to stay for more than three months at a time. Im really struggling with what date we would be considered de facto, as to me, its the day we met in person in Jan 2016 as we knew then that this was what we eventually wanted

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
Does that mean the date that we actually moved in together ?
Plenty of people move in together without esablishing a de facto relationship.

Noting that there is no requirement to have lived together at all, for a de facto relationship to be established, there would be the issue of showing that a relationship was 'genuine' in such circumstsances.

It might pay you to search (genuine de facto) or similar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.