Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm an Australian citizen married to a Korean citizen since 2002. My wife was granted a Resident Return (155) visa in 2005 (now twice renewed). We went through fiance and spouse visas to achieve this.

We lived in Australia until 2013, when we moved to South Korea. We have plans to move back to Australia, perhaps in 2 or 3 years.
I am wondering if there will be a problem for my wife renewing her Australian visa in 2020, given its likely she would not have been in Australia for the requisite 2 years in 5.

Does the fact she's still married to an Australian who has been with her throughout that time mitigate the renewal?
If we're back living in Australia by the renewal date, could the renewal be rejected, ignoring the fact we are married and together? Could it require starting from scratch (eg: applying for a spouse visa again)?

Thank you so much for any advice or pointers to further information.
Rick

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Hello. I'm an Australian citizen married to a Korean citizen since 2002. My wife was granted a Resident Return (155) visa in 2005 (now twice renewed). We went through fiance and spouse visas to achieve this.

We lived in Australia until 2013, when we moved to South Korea. We have plans to move back to Australia, perhaps in 2 or 3 years.
I am wondering if there will be a problem for my wife renewing her Australian visa in 2020, given its likely she would not have been in Australia for the requisite 2 years in 5.

Does the fact she's still married to an Australian who has been with her throughout that time mitigate the renewal?
If we're back living in Australia by the renewal date, could the renewal be rejected, ignoring the fact we are married and together? Could it require starting from scratch (eg: applying for a spouse visa again)?

Thank you so much for any advice or pointers to further information.
Rick
It would simply be a matter of returning to Australia before the 5 year travel facility expires and apply for a new RRV once she meets the residency requirements again. It's only the travel facility that expires, not the actual PR. They are not very expensive, so you can always apply for a new one and request a waiver of the residency requirement, if you have a viable argument to put forward ( like living overseas with Australian citizen partner).

Reactions: KofteQueen
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.